Monday, March 9, 2009

To thine own self be true

On a survery, one of my friends was asked which female celebrity she would choose to be.

I read in a magazine today that a female celebrity you like says a lot about who you are and who you want to be. "So, watch who you dote on, because it reflects a lot on you" is how the article ended.

But what does that really mean? I mean, I love Rachel McAdams, Reese Witherspoon, Eva Longoria, Beyonce, and of course, both Anjelina Jolie and Jennifer Anniston. Aren't they all aunthentic in their own ways?

Why can't it just be that they are appreciated for their own individuality and we should be for our own as well? I think that the more we try to emulate qualities of others, the more injustice we do to ourselves.

Sure, I can love Eva Longoria's amazing red dress (who really doesn't?), but that does not mean I strive to be Eva Longoria.



















Sometimes it feels as though our society thrives on reminding us that we are not enough. But we are. If we keep looking for completion and validity outside ourselves, we will be forever unhappy!

I shall end this post with a quote: "To dream of the person you wish to be is to waste the person who are."

2 comments:

  1. So true!! And it took me, like, my WHOLE life to figure it out. Social climbing, celebrity worshiping, famous face stalking, etc, are all sicknesses, I've decided. But they are readily condoned and encouraged by society and media. But while encouraging you to do things like hold your breath until the next Beyonce LIVE! DVD comes out, they are obligated (but not really happy) to tell you that starving yourself to look like Beyonce is wrong. Double eged sword. I agree that we are diminshing the essence of our own authenticity. Very sad. :-(

    I love that quote by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Charlize Theron for her work in "Monster" (I mean, shaving your eyebrows in that business?? That's commitment).

    However, I think you really capture it with your final sentiment. Ultimately, if you waste your time wishing to be someone else, the person you are is totally wasted.

    ReplyDelete