Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's About the Little Things

I absolutely love Audrey Hepburn: her chic style, classic movies, timeless grace...

Her Recipe for Beauty is one of my favorite quotes out there. One particular line says:

"For beautiful hair, let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day."

I recently played with these 4 year old twin boys for an entire evening. The more style conscious twin innocently asked me if he could braid my hair. "Of course you can," I replied. Within seconds, he grabbed a tiny, plastic hairbrush and began raking my hair with it, occasionally asking me if it was hurting me. "No, no, you're fine." I kept repeating, as I thought about how great of a boyfriend he would be someday.

The hours passed as he braided my hair and his brother intermittently asking me which move to make next on his X Box games. At the end, my hair was knotted in several places, with a halo of frizz to accompany it. But I walked around proudly, eager to show it off to the world. There was so much care and purity poured into my hairstyle, instead of the usual, daily monotony that I give it.

I frequently talk about how badly I want a career, something that is my own, something that will transcend the years of when I raise children and they go off to college. But something about that evening reminded me of how much I also want to be an integral part of my kids' upbringing, a constant in shaping who they become. It is those tiny slivers of the day that give us something to hold onto and more importantly, look back on. There isn't anything that can substitute for those moments.

I conclude this post with the entire Recipe for Beauty:

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others.

1 comment: