Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Daddy Knows Best

Maybe I'm experiencing a quarter life crisis. Okay, not maybe.

Definitely.

(I am such a cliche in the worst way possible. I just want to escape to the middle of nowhere and be alone with my thoughts. Or maybe even without my thoughts. Ah, how luxurious would it be to detach myself from my mind?! It was this slew of notions that made me look into a silent mediation camp. If only I was gutsy enough to be one of those people that just goes where the wind takes them, sort of like Jack/Leonardo in Titanic.)

Anyway, the more I observe my parents, the more different from them I feel.

Sure, I inherited my father's work ethic and my mother's chocolate brown, almond shaped eyes, but it seems like that's where the similarities end. At least, that's how it has seemed for a few weeks.

A recent conversation. (Please keep in mind that my P.M.S. seems to be getting worse with age. Also, please keep in mind that talking about relationship etiquette ranks as one of the most awkward things I could do with them, right up there with watching an unexpected X Rated scene in a movie. )

Saumya: "If I plan to have a full time career, I don't think it's fair that I cook everyday for my family."

Dad: "Then you better find a husband who will help out."

Mom: "You won't find that. Even if you do, it'll somehow be put back on you. Just wait and see."

Saumya: "I'm not going to wait and see. This will be one of those things I say up front, before he would even think of popping the question. 'Hey, if we're both up at the crack of down and back after sundown, I expect you to split the domestic duties with me. And you can kiss me goodbye RIGHT NOW if you think I'm making you Indian food everyday. Take. It. Or. Leave. It. "

Dad: "Don't ever say that to a guy! If he knows this is how you think, he'll never marry you."

Saumya: "So, I'm just not supposed to say anything? That's crap. Unfair crap. "

Dad: "Say all you want. But only after marriage. He doesn't need to know this before."



Interesting.

.

2 comments:

  1. ur dad is hilarious!! lol jaiminikaka would say somehting like that where as my dad would just say dont ever say it and if u do ur doomed to be a old single lady for the rest of her life lol i love it...this post made me start my day with a smile! MUAH! love u **insert family pet name here**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad is funny ("say it after marriage"...hahahaha...doesn't work like that dad-O). If the boy is raised correctly, he will definitely help out. Being a working woman myself, I have raised my (now teen) son and (elementary school) daughter to help out in kitchen. One is cutting vegetables, one is preparing table and dad is doing dishes (while I am sitting, watching, and directing them all...just kidding). This is so much fun and not at all intimidating. IT is such a family affair on wkends. One doesn't have to eat "indian" food for it to be healthy. But being vegetarian, it really helps. The pressure cooker cuts time off from cooking. Rotis can be ordered or completely skipped. I think they are the hardest in our cuisine. I know of families here in Atlanta, who have someone who comes out once a week and cook food for several days (for $35 or so). That can be done but the food that is "old" is not sattvic. So I prefer to cook fresh everyday and it is oh-so-relaxing to cook something and eat together.

    ReplyDelete