Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Has Bollywood really ruined our expectations of men?




There are coffee dates, AIM conversations, and Facebook groups devoted to this wrenching idea.
But what I've realized is that Bollywood movies usually portray the makings and honeymoon period of a romance. What about the stuff that only comes with time? When things aren't new and exciting anymore? The habits, fights, revealed quirks? What expectations are there for those?


One of my favorite quotes EVER:


"Real love starts when manipulation stops. When you think more about the other person and less about their reaction to you."


Of course, this is easier said than done. I was having dinner with a close girlfriend the other night and we were discussing the nature of fights. In some relationships, after a certain point, it becomes more about who can "win" the fight and less about the issue itself. I guess in the heat of the moment, both of those can seem soluble and difficult to sift apart.


Anyway, I can only hope that the expectations I have for my future, whenever-it-happens marriage, will be well thought out and fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment