Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fun tidbits



*Wandered over to Canal Street (Chinatown) yesterday and saw that the fake Birkin bags are $250!! Note to self: purse fetish must be put on hold when even Chinatown is out of my current price range.

*I'm rereading Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, an amazing book about writing. Favorite quote so far:

"For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die."

This quote exemplifies why Belle ("Beauty") is one of my favorite Disney princesses: because she reads!! I am guilty of hoarding my books, refusing to give them away (even the Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary ones I should have outgrown by now). Perhaps the Kindle was made for people like me....



*Dove has come out with milk chocolate with almonds...yay! Today's message: "Carve out a moment just for yourself."

*The writing project is just as daunting as it's always been. I've read about a couple of people knocking out 100 pages in a day and I am so impressed!! I love connecting with other writers and seeing how well they execute their potential.

*I realize this is a peculiar obsession, but I LOVE office supplies. Post It came out with 8 X 6 pads. Needless to say, I went on a Staples shopping spree.

11 comments:

  1. Funny;great minds do indeed think alike; I've already bought some of the new post it pads,and absolutely LOVE them!!! Enjoy yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I thought I was reading a post I wrote! Belle is my favorite Disney princess, too, because she READS! (I have a Friday post planned mentioning that breathtaking library scene...!) I'm still lamenting over some books I gave away when I grew out of them. Baby-Sitter's Club, anyone? Sigh. I no longer have those. And I love office supplies! My hubby has to drag me away from any section containing notebooks or pens or binder clips. I could easily spend a million dollars in Staples. Too bad for Staples I have nowhere near that much money, lol.

    I'm reading Bird by Bird now and loving it! And if fake Birkin bags are that much, how costly are the real ones???

    Loved your tidbits! Keep it up with your writing project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Bird by Bird too. Great quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've read Bird by Bird five times by now. I love it. You might also like Writing Down the Bones.

    Thanks for coming by my blog. I'm so glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, thanks for visiting my blog. I thought I'd take a look at yours also. I'm glad I did....I like it! If you don't mind, I'm going to tag along.
    thanks.
    patricktillett.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quote on books has to be one of the best quotes ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love characters that love to read: Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Thanks for coming over to my blog....good to find yours too ;-)
    Great quote on books....I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    I love Anne Lamott's 'Bird by Bird'. One of my favourites on writing, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have read every calvin and Hobbs out there!! wish there were new ones to come

    i live like 4 blocks from canal street what gets me more than the fake berkin prices is that sometimes ill see a 6'5" big tall black guy talking in chinese and asking ppl if they want to buy a fake rolex in mandarin !!!! ... it has by far been my most absurd experience in nyc...

    www.donotshoeme.blogspot.com

    follow if u like what u see?

    happy day!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Bird by Bird too, and I agree Belle is the best princess too because she loves to read, Dove bars are delish and sometimes when I'm depressed I go to our office's office supply cabinet and poke around for a bit; even just a regular size post-it pack makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete