Monday, April 26, 2010

Oh Mondays...

Since Mondays tend to be somewhat depressing, I thought of ways to make this Monday a bit brighter:

*If you're a writer, relish the fact that you can lounge in pajamas all day long! I collect sweatshirts from every school I've attended and make those my home.

*Let little things add flavor (literally) to your routine. I am loving these minty lip glosses from Bath and Body Works:


*Take advice from those you look up to: Recently, my favorite NYTimes columnist Nicholas Kristof noted that good writing is not so much about making a great first draft as it is about working to a decent third one.

*Make your working environment pleasant. This will make it more appealing to return to. I just pasted this card to my desk:

*Remember that everyone is fighting some sort of tough battle, whether it's internal or external. It can be so easy to allow others to truly get to us and pave our emotions. This obviously makes us human; but sometimes, if we keep in mind that every individual is somehow struggling, it's easy to not hold so much against people if and when they're unpleasant.

*Look forward to meals!! I'm going all out and making a grand Mexican meal tonight: Food Network enchiladas, specialty guacamole, and yummy margaritas. Yay!

Most important lesson from the weekend: Rejections can be a gift.
I received a detailed rejection awhile back with some incredible advice that I would not have gotten otherwise. Since it's an agent's job to critique work from a business perspective, he or she can unveil things about your work that may have been missed by yourself or your peers. This only improves the following drafts and in the end, we all want to put our best work forward.

Let's allow rejections to propel us forward instead of downwards!!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! Mondays can be good, after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best positive Monday post!! I love what you said about rejection the most :)

    And I am in LOVE with that minty lip gloss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely positive post!

    As I'm at the query stage too, I will look upon my rejections as badges of determination.

    Good luck with your journey and thanks for leaving a comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful post! I've gotta try that minty lip gloss. Love that quote from Nicholas Kristof, and what you said about rejections is SO true! Thanks for a fun, positive post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that rejections can be a gift, especially when they occur during the early stages of the process. More time to revise and make a better MS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a wonderful blog here! I totally agree with what you've said - especially the part about understanding that all people struggle. It's something I try to get across to the students in my room - encourages them to think beyond the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rejections really aren't so bad. It just makes you feel all that more better when you receive a positive response!!!! And I love that bath and body works lip gloss too! I have the cherry cola kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to have to go try some of that minty lip gloss, my Old Navy brand is almost gone and I need to find a new obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the best posts I´ve read for a monday! You keep that positive energy flowing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great way to look at rejections as a gift. I need to do that more. And I love wearing pajamas all day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE that lipgloss!

    Great post/blog...lots of gems.

    (new here)

    ~Lola

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent advice, Saumya. Not only can we learn from rejections, but they make our successes that much sweeter.

    Speaking of successes, I have an award for you over on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great point about everyone facing some sort of personal battle of their own. It can be too easy to take someone's harsh words or indifference towards us as a personal affront, when maybe they're just having a really crappy day.

    I've only gotten a small handful so far, but I think every rejection hurts in the moment, but it helps make me a little stronger going forward.

    ReplyDelete