Saturday, April 24, 2010

The weekend is here!

I've had an incredible start to the weekend thanks to some blog awards!!


I received my first blog award ever from the awesome Laura at Wavy Lines and then T.J. Thank you so much! I'm passing this on to:

MissV, who balances so much and does it all well!
Aubrie, for being multi talented and hard working. You go, girl!!
Crystal, who has motivating posts!
Trish, who always shares her beautiful artwork and incredible running stories!

This award is extra fun because whoever receives it has to share 7 things:

1. I am rewriting the first 100 pages of my WIP and trying to finish the entire thing before medical school in August.

2. Office supplies are my drugs. Seriously. I am obsessed with Post Its, highlighters, you name it!

3. My entire family is musical. Both of my parents and my sister sing and we often perform together at embarrassing, boisterous Indian events.

4. I've learned Indian classical dance since middle school and miss it a lot now!

5. I'm terrified of dogs. It's completely irrational (there's no childhood trauma...at least, that I know of).

6. I can't seem to stop playing Lady Gaga's "Telephone."

7. I am a walking contradiction. In high school, I was the nerdy pageant girl and now, I'm a scientific artist.




I also got the Blogger Buddy award from Alyson. Thanks so much!! I'm passing it on to:

Laura at Wavy Lines: for beautiful quotes, fun posts, and endless supporting comments!!
Jen at unedited: for depicting her journey as a writer so well and getting 400 well deserved followers in two months!

Now, the weekend means one thing to me: MORE writing than the weekdays!

I've been reading some blogs about people having trouble get started and I completely relate. That blank page can be SO intimidating, especially when you want to give your best.

I know some people can manage to just write freely without regard to what comes out. I guess I haven't gotten there yet. In my workshop yesterday, we discussed this and came up with a great way to start:

Make a word, any word that you want your next piece to represent, in the center of a piece of paper. Draw a line out to another word, then another, then another....until you essentially have a map of interconnected circles. I tried this for my next chapter and found it very helpful.

Also, I've been reading a book about novel writing (promise it's my last self help one...hopefully!) and found this great, short character list if you want to start fleshing out your characters:

*Gender
*Age
*Appearance (height, weight, body type, hair color, eye color)
*Distinct mannerisms
*Distinctive speech pattern
*Personality
*Family and economic background
*Personal life/what he or she does when alone
*Work Life
*Strength
*Weakness

Happy Writing!! I'll end this with a fun quote:





Do you have writing goals for this weekend or any fun plans??

18 comments:

  1. Aww thanks for the award! I didn't know you are musical. And good luck with editing those first 100 pages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!
    big bling day for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the award, Saumya! I liked all your 7 things- especially your drug being office supplies. That's mine, too!

    The circle map sounds like a great idea and I'm definitely going to try that. I'm going to use that character list, too! Which book on writing are you reading?

    Have a wonderful weekend, Saumya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the award winners! Thanks for the writing suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your awards!! And good luck with Medical School... that sounds scary! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the award! Made my day!

    Enjoy what's left of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your awards!!! And thanks so much for mine :)

    Those are some great writing tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your awards! You deserve them.

    And write write write, before you know it, August will be here. I have the same goal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the award - Indian classical dance sounds cool :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quote!

    Congrats on the awards! Good luck with your writing - keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much! That's so sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, everyone!! These truly made my weekend.

    Laura: I'm reading The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing. I got it on Amazon for a great price!

    Anne: Glad we have the same goal!! August is going to come before we know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Something you might consider is making a character powerpoint:

    So you have a character per slide, now this isn't for display or for real powerpoint purposes but it keeps all your characters together and you can choose themes to represent either the individual character or your novel overall. And what I usually do is put pictures of people I consider to look similar to my characters (muses like Jude Law, haha I use him a lot but he is FOXY) then I type their info in and maybe a few sentences about their background. After that I either fill in the names with false ones (or the name of the person in the picture aka JUDE LAW) then fill the name I come up with later in that spot or just leave it blank and play around with names for a bit. So sometimes I have a character named Jude Law making things happen in my novel and it's amazing haha.

    Try that it might help. It certainly organizes my thought and then the blank page is not so intimidating because I can just look at my muses and go mmmmmhhhhhmmmmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha and lady Gaga is freaking amazing!!! My song is poker face lol. And congrats on the blog awards you received!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this post! Congrats ont he awards!
    Happy writting to you too and thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for the award, how lovely of you to think of me!! Do I copy and paste to put it on my profile? Good luck with the editing, do it in small chunks, and reward yourself at regular intervals. xoxo trish

    ReplyDelete
  17. T.J.: That is such a great idea!!! I'm definitely going to try that today because my characters are all over the place. Very innovative! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh Trish: you can either add it to a blog post (alongside the 7 fun facts)or add it as a picture to your template. Under the layout tab, there's an option to "add a gadget". You can add that as a picture. Whatever you like!

    ReplyDelete