Thursday, April 15, 2010

Writing= Baby?



Do you ever find yourself becoming physically attached to your words? Is it just some manifestation of the ego? My novel is feeling like a baby...or at least, what I think having a baby would feel like, minus the pooping, crying, and adorable onesies. Okay, maybe it's nothing like a baby. Regardless, I find myself having a strange ownership over my words, metaphors, thoughts,etc.

On another note....

Most recent lesson:
Dialogue can be so daunting! I've been reading that dialogue should only be used if it pertains to conflict, whether that's internal or external. This is different from conversation, which can be verbal exchanges about anything (ex. "hi", "hello", etc.). I find dialogue quite difficult to write and admire those authors who make it look effortless.

Also, I found this quote today:

Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
Cyril Connolly

It reminded me of something Elizabeth Gilbert said at a book talk: "If you write for everyone, you will reach no one."

3 comments:

  1. Nathaniel Hawthorne said, "Easy reading is damn hard writing." So don't get discouraged!!! If it's hard for you to write dialogue, that means it probably reads effortlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote Laura! Dialogue is tough. Something so simple and quick can take a long time to make it sound natural and not forced. Your blog is really fun! And pretty! And pink! Yep, it's a triple win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the beginning I was much more attached to my words. Then a writing teacher told me I wasn't writing enough and that if I wrote more, each word wouldn't be so damn precious! She was totally right.

    ReplyDelete