Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sex and the City & Writing



I saw Sex and the City 2 last night. Personally, I found the first movie more enjoyable, but it was still entertaining. (Don't worry; I won't give anything away about the plot!)

The movie made me think about the importance of characters. If our characters are strong enough, people become attached to the course of their lives. One of my girlfriends in college told me that she enjoyed watching Sex and the City because the women felt like her girlfriends. When she was able to absorb their brunch discussions, she truly felt as though she was a part of them. I think that's one of the best things about art; it makes everyone feel as though they are part of something universal.

Today, I'm locking myself up and writing all day. Yes, all day on the long weekend.

Is anyone else writing throughout the long weekend??

I really hope I'm not alone! The WIP is taking over every part of me. I knew that if I went to an amusement park or shopped, I'd still be thinking about it. So time to get to it!!

To end, some fun Sex and the City quotes:

Stanford: "Oh my god, she's fashion roadkill!"
Carrie: "A squirrel is just a rat in a cuter outfit."
Carrie: "Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they're supposed to run free, until they find someone, just as wild, to run with."
Charlotte: "Is it possible to have an affair with your own husband?"

(I love Charlotte's style!)



Also, my fellow blogger friend, T. J. Carson, has inspired me to be a Write-a-holic (her very well made up term)! We're set to knock out one chapter per day. Check out her awesome write-a-holic badge:



I find that surrounding yourself with people who share your goals helps you to accomplish them. After years of science classes and medical related extracirriculars, I never knew how to meet other aspiring authors. This is one of the many reasons I love blogging!!


What are your daily writing goals? Do you make it a word count? A chapter?


I'm trying to do a chapter a day; my chapter lengths vary from 10-12 pages.




16 comments:

  1. Enjoy the weekend - good luck with the wip :)

    We had our long weekend last weekend (Canada) & I did get a ton done on my ms. I hope yours works out the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your writing this weekend! I'm polishing up my WIP as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I'm so glad that you two worked on your WIP during the long weekend :) It's 2 a.m. and I'm still trying to reach my mini goal of the day. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy weekend! Glad you enjoyed SATC II! And yes, I'm working on my WIP, too. I'm taking today off from it, but I was working on it yesterday and I'll be back to it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SATC 2, weee!! I´m eager to see it. I too will work on my MS tomorrow. I work on it through out the week, sat and sundays are time off with hubby =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't lock myself up this weekend, but I did unplug from the blogosphere and got a LOT of writing done. So much, in fact, that I'm probably going to have to make weekends unplugged from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack! I've been meaning to watch sex and the city. I've seen a few episodes and it is REALLY good! Those are conversations I have w/ my friends about "conquests" *wink* haha and just girly plotting!

    So glad you want to join me on my quest! Post your new CHALLENGE badge! I hope you like it. I thought the work-aholic skeleton was really funny haha.

    I'm doing pretty good on my WIP so far. Had a small "lazy relapse" one day but back on the WIP the next. I mean my goal is 12 pages in each chapter but w/ my little relapse I've found it's okay to be short a few pages and call it a chapter. But I have 11,458 words in the 3 days I've been writing! (I dont write on weekends). So Today I plan on getting another chapter (maybe 1 and 1/2 chapters) done today!

    How about you! How are you doing with the progress of your WIP? Any complications, like i had? KEEP ME UP TO DATE on your work! Us Write-a-holics need to support each other! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the quotes & agree with you about how characters make us feel like we've made new friends and art helps us become a part of something bigger or universal. So what did you accomplish on your dedicated writing day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for commenting today on my blog. However you found me, I'm glad you did. And so I've come here to meet you. You're young and have a long journey ahead of you. My journey is closer to the end than the beginning, and so I write memoir. I like what you say here about characters. They're at the heart of all writing. Today I finally wrote the beginning of the memoir I want to write. I have bits and pieces from other attempts to pull into it, so I'm trying to get it "outlined." You do have to be dedicated if you're going to get something written. Hope you had a very productive day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying to do one great page a day. A journey of a 1000 miles and all that. I really enjoyed the line : "A squirrel is just a rat in a cuter outfit."
    Roland

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh if you haven't voted on Creepy Query Girl's QUERY SPOOF contest, you should vote for entry #1 ;) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Luck with the writing challenge! I might jump on that wagon in a few weeks as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Saum! Good luck :) I know all this hard work is going to pay off really soon. You should be so proud of making it this far and looking forward to reading the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, a doctor taking time off to become a writer. Am impressed already :)

    Followed you from Judy balan's blog. Hope you do see your dreams come true.

    Vijay
    www.vijayanand.name

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saumya, thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. We have something in common - I quit my IBM job to write! Good for you for following (and you will realize!) a dream.

    Have you read Stephen King's "On Writing?" He mentions the importance of writing and reading everyday. I haven't been good at either lately but your blog and your chapter a day has spurred me along. I will write today for sure.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh, I loved your Sex and the City analogy about characters. I know exactly what your friends mean: you do feel like you're sitting with them over brunch!

    ReplyDelete