Wednesday, August 11, 2010

5 Things That Jump Start the Morning!

As a steadfast night owl, I have always had trouble waking up in the mornings. The alarm gets snoozed, the people who try to wake me up are snapped at (I love you!), and, on the most melodramatic ones, I lament life, squeeze my palms together, and pray for extra hours.

In honor of my new schedule (wake up at 6:45 a.m., go to bed at 1 a.m.), I thought of things that make that first segment of the morning bearable:

1. A fresh cup of coffee or tea (These are also essential before I start to write)



2. Fun music (Yes, maybe I do listen to Ke$ha, Lady Gaga and---feel free to judge---Britney Spears)

3. Good food (There's nothing like toasted sourdough bread or a cup of vanilla yogurt with blueberries or cereal with fruit)


4. Stretching (Get those muscles moving and that blood flowing!)

5. A smile (refer to previous, cheesy post)


How do you get out of bed? Are you a night or morning person?

*pictures from weheartit.com

9 comments:

  1. It's so hard for me to smile in the morning......I feel like a scrooge!

    Anyways, coffee does help. I'll try some music with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love smiling when I wake up, even if I don't feel like it--it makes the whole day more positive. A mug of hot tea and a chapter of a good book also help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely not a morning person. It doesn't matter how much or how little sleep I get, for some reason I just function better at night.

    Stretching also helps me in the mornings, as does having a smoothie or something equally fresh and fruity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a night owl. That all changed fifteen years ago (almost to the day). My darling little daughter was decidedly NOT a night owl. She would wake up every 90 minutes demanding to be fed/changed/loved. When she started sleeping through the night, we were THRILLED...so the fact that she began her day at 4 a.m. didn't bother us. She completely retrained me. I haven't hit snooze in YEARS, and only use the alarm as a backup. I'm usually awake way before it goes off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Tik Tok' always gives me a burst of energy :-)

    Nah I'm like the least morning-loving person ever. I'd sleep well into the afternoon if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i am totally a night person. I worked night shift for 4 years 6am -6p...and I have had the hardest time reverting back to normal. Although I wouldn't call my current schedule normal...alarm goes off at 4:45am..ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a morning person for sure. I love getting a jump start on the day, but I definitely need my cup of coffee to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a morning person! I don't like coffee (I love the smell of it, though. Too bad it doesn't taste how it smells!) but I must have breakfast every morning, usually cereal. I also exercise and stretch every morning; it helps keep me motivated for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is ADDICTIVE!!

    It is such a good thing that you are opting for writing... I think I know which blog I am going to stalk when I have free time :D

    ReplyDelete