Monday, August 30, 2010

Edit Your Novel; Edit Your Life

Sometimes, a change in one aspect of your life instigates changes in others.

This past weekend, I knew I was going to be doing major book revisions, so I thought, "Why not do all types of revisions?" Diet revisions, schedule revisions, relationship revisions...
All of these changes have made my Monday much more pleasant, so I thought I would share:


For some quick, diet revisions, I:

1.) Sprinkled strawberries and blueberries on top of my cereal
2.) Made mini pizzas on whole wheat pita bread
3.) Kept a bottle of water handy at my desk


Despite my 100ish pages of reading on breast cancer (and 30 pages of clinical skills), I knew that I had to spend some weekend time catching up with friends. When I am extremely busy, I tend to revert into an odd type of isolation (maybe it's a tortured artist complex)? But at the end of the day, week, and year, nothing is more important than my personal relationships.
So, I:

1.) Found some old craft paper and hand wrote "thanks for being in my life" notes to some close friends.
2.) Used my car rides to catch up with two other friends
3.) Organized a dinner with my medical school class and deemed it a "quick, study break"



Throughout my book revisions, I asked myself these questions (which I got after extensive research):

1.) How is this chapter moving my plot forward?
2.) Is there something valuable on every page? Could a reader skip this page and still be okay?
3.) Does this scene establish multiple purposes (depict internal and external conflict, push the plot, define character, etc.)?

What do you do to change your routine? Have you made any changes lately?

*Pictures from weheartit.com

Also, on a completely unrelated note, how great does Heidi look?!





20 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm trying to organize my blog commenting. It's becoming crazy trying to keep up - so I'm going to attempt a schedule. I'm NOT a schedule person so we'll see how it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started school, again LOL. But with book revisions, I like what you have. I sort of do the same thing and get these funks where I have to evaluate everything to see if it's even needed. "If I cut this, would it change anything?" That's great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a change to my diet routine...I let myself go a little :)

    PS: Try the pita pizza with flat bread. They give the pizza that thin crust crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowo-- you realy went at it!! We went to a movie for a change instead of me sitting in front of my computer and doing those horrid revisions:)) It was fun and opened my brain abit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of revisions in writing and in life.

    I've been making a point to read more. And my list of read books is growing steadily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not revised my life in a really long time, congrats to you for doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these quick and easy ideas! Anybody can make them and they DO make a difference!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the questions you ask about your book! I get a little too settled in my routines sometimes - it's good to change things up a bit, I find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great revisions saumya! the blueberries sound delicious :) and yes friendships are very important in life and writers tend to keep themselves holed-up when in full swing sometimes neglecting those dear relationships. i think your week is off to an awesome start! and i may have to think about doing some revisions of my own :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you wrote hand-written notes to your friends--I'm definitely stealing that idea! I'm in a reevaluating my life phase now, and it does feel a bit like editing your manuscript. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such simple changes, yet it can make a lot of difference in a person's life. it is up to us to stick to the positive changes we make in our lives. I am really happy for you.
    Just came back from a visit to the US. It was fun, but I am glad to be back home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started school and that's pretty life altering changes lol, but I enjoy learning

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter goes back to (high) school next week, and thus I am planning a bit of reorganizing myself! I kinda think of Sept. as January...a new year. (of course I do it again in January)

    I love this post. I'm inspired. :)

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Lola!! I love the idea of Sept-January being another year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those a three great tips to keep on hand during revisions! And some great ideas for keeping in touch with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your diet revisions! I haven't changed up my routine for awhile but I'm going on vacation in two weeks, so that will do the trick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Heidi! And I definetly did, I'm trying to enjoy life a bit more, certainly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Heidi's dress, wow! And seriously, if I can look half that good at her age, I'll be dee-lighted.

    This is such a great post, you always seem to come up with creative and lovely ideas! Editing my life seems just the thing for me, but right now I'm just too swamped with editing the manuscript to try changing my eating or sleeping habits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Sangu!! I love Heidi's dress as well. I hope I look as good as her even this year haha.

    ReplyDelete