Friday, September 17, 2010

The Best Kind of Date

Although I like to think of myself as an extrovert; lately, I have realized that I really enjoy spending time alone. Tonight, for the first time in a long time, I am spending an entire evening in solitude. No phone calls, no shared meals, no scrambling to a bar to compensate for having zero fun during the week, no gchat conversations.

I drove to Borders and wove through the Literature section (something about all of those books motivates me to make mine the best it can be). Then, I went home, poured a glass of wine and made some whole wheat spaghetti with broccoli, sun dried tomatoes, pesto, and vodka sauce.

I opened up Microsoft Word and I swear that the blank page seemed excited to see me. It has been so long since we were alone together! I can hear people piling into cars, opening the sun roofs, and cracking open beer cans. I can see summer-dressed girls linking pinkies with their boyfriends. I can feel each individual, going somewhere, doing something, with a set purpose. The entire city seems to be vibrating with human interaction and I am by myself.

And I couldn't be happier.




Do you like being alone? When was the last time you took yourself out on a date?

11 comments:

  1. I love isolation; it's certainly great for productivity!

    Your day sounds like it was almost magical. Don't take too long before your next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect night.

    Writing has made me like to spend more time alone too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect night!
    I do actually! I can only work when Im alone =)
    Btw, I´ve announced your giveaway on my blog (yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most writers tend to be introverted to some extent otherwise we wouldn't secret ourselves away to write in solitude. I love being alone for the most part but you can't play badminton on your lonesome.

    I had an Artist Date yesterday by way of a rambling walk that took 1.5hrs and covered a distance really not equal to the time it took. I did notice a lot of different mushrooms and took photos of dewy little flowers and stroked the silvery-white underside of a leaf though. Sensory information for the writing!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being alone. That's when I get time to think.

    It doesn't happen often enough, these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely need some time by myself. I love being with people, but as an introvert, being with people all day tends to drain my energy (as opposed to an extrovert who gets energy from being with people). Usually I like to read or write or go for a walk with a camera and notebook. Those are dates me, myself, and I like to go on with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow--- its been a very very long time since I've took myself on a date. LOl but I don't really like being alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy my alone time - always have. My extroverted family thought it was unusual, but respected my way too. I don't know if I've ever taken myself on a date! Sounds like a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I definitely need to go on a writing date! It sounds like you had an awesome night (and I'm totally stealing your pasta recipe)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do enjoy being alone quite a bit! I think my favorite things have to be reading, cooking, and running alone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would consider myself an introvert, so I love getting time to myself to reflect, read, and do some journaling! I love those days when I just get to stay in and relax/watch a movie too. At the same time, I don't think I could survive in isolation- I love communicating and being with people too!

    ReplyDelete