Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Do I Make Things Harder Than They Need to Be?

Before my flight to NYC, I found myself wandering through the terminal. Oh my gosh, I realized. I am forty five minutes early! And without my beloved laptop! What's a girl to do?

Instead of sitting down and people watching or---gasp---doing nothing, I asked the gate agent where the good airport shops are. Might as well buy some gifts or things I need, I thought, as I zipped past the array of restaurants and families. Then it was onto one of the many bookstores. I should start on some put off reading. Or make phone calls. Or whip out my tattered notebook and write.

The point is, after I sped through the terminal to catch my boarding time, I knew exactly what had happened. Through an odd series of events, I forgot how to truly relax. Every hour has to feel as though it is "accomplishing something" or "providing challenge" in order to feel worthwhile.

It made me wonder, do I make things harder for myself than they have to be? Do I find some kind of pleasure in knowing there was a struggle to my "goal" so then---only then--- it must have been worth it?? In a gesture that was equal parts frazzled and liberating, I tucked all of my stuff under the seat and gazed out the window for the entire flight.

Do you ever find yourself doing this?



"You must learn how to do nothing...absolutely nothing"
Winnie the Pooh


10 comments:

  1. Oh , it's so hard for me to truly relax and do nothing! I always feel like i should be accomplishing something. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of late, I am seeing my husband always in a hurry, everything he wants to finish off and go... go where?
    I am also a stickler for time, I am never late, but this haste,I cannot understand.
    I am never tensed and I am never bored, I don't need anything to pass my time,I can people watch forever, or if there are no people to watch, I can still spend the time with myself. And I love doing nothing too.
    Try it you too would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, my efforts to simplify things end up making them more difficult. I think we all have a tendency to do this on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes. If I do nothing, I feel guilty. I always feel more accomplished getting something done if that something proved a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this all the time! I always feeling like I should be doing something, and just sitting down and relaxing is difficult for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I love to sit in an airport and watch the people. I could do it all day, and think I am using my time wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, this is so me! For some reason, only when I'm traveling do I take the time to do nothing: I can stare out a plane, bus, or car window listening to music for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel fidgety when I just sit, always having the need to DO something. It's good you recognized it, and then made sure you did let yourself relax. I'm going to take a cue from you and do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids think it's hilarious that I never 'watch' TV - I always have the laptop or a book with me. They don't think I ever really relax - and they're probably right! :)

    ReplyDelete