Monday, September 27, 2010

Defogging















Last night, I was driving through a particularly angry thunderstorm. With the rain, fog, and traffic, the only things that made it bearable were "my perfect for driving" iPod playlist, warm cup of green tea, and restless mind.

During one turbulent stretch, I began to panick because I was having trouble seeing anything. The cars around me were were nothing more than a bundle of hazy lights. The rain kept beating down on the windshield, threating to get worse. Of course, I was also thinking about some of the goals and relationships I had as a girl. It seems that the older we get, the more jaded we become, almost as though time coats us with a sticky layer of cynicism. We dismiss dreams as being "too idealistic" or "unrealistic" and instead of allowing our highest potential to shape us, we mold it.

With my rambling thoughts, I realized that I forgot to press the "defogger" button. Something so simple but still forgotten. Within seconds, the fog lifted and everything became clearer. The weather calmed down and the traffic was not as bad as I thought it was. Ah ha, I thought. What a great metaphor!

Every once in a while, when I am becoming doubtful, negative, or pessimistic, I should press that internal defogger and regain some clarity
. It can be too easy to allow time and a handful of negative experiences to pollute our lenses but maybe it is also up to us to routinely defog and whisk away the condensation.


9 comments:

  1. Time has definitely made me a lot more pessimistic; it's made me afraid of failures, so I don't try new things the way I would as a girl. Sometimes, the defogging button is very much needed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mostly a positive person, but I was more so as a child. Life's rosy glow becomes much darker as you get older and see how the world really works. So some days that defogging button is a necessity!

    Terrific post and analogy, as always!!! Have a great week, Saumya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to stay positive but I've also grown more realistic with age--I know we can do most anything we set our minds and hearts to do with a TON of work though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I tend to be a pretty positive person for the most part. I do find I keep a more steady keel as I get older :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great analogy! We should all stop to defog every now and again, but sometimes we get so distracted by the problems at hand we fail to realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't it be great if we had a defogging button easily accessible all the time, and the maturity to know when to switch it on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen for the defogger! For me, the older I get the more I love life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to let you know I've got a blog award for you at the bottom of Wednesday's post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had fun with the weather after all!
    The defogger is a savior, especially when we make some rare choices in our lives:-)

    Thanks for the post Saumya and thank you specially, for visiting my blog:-)

    Best,
    Suma.

    ReplyDelete