Saturday, September 4, 2010

Medical Musings: Can You Judge a Book By Its Cover?

Okay, bear with me on this metaphor (which was inspired by my studying...I know, I know, my life is quite sad).

In a general sense, we are studying different types of diseases and how the body tries to combat them. We learned that there are antigens on cell surfaces. These give a beacon to other cells to indicate that something weird is going on. When the other cells get a peek of these antigens, they start doing things to try and solve the problem.

So, in a nutshell, the appearance of the surface makes things happen and provides clues as to what is going on underneath.

It made me think, wow, even the building blocks of our bodies give hints on their surfaces! Isn't that what our facial expressions do?? And at times, our outfits?


And....what about book covers? According to the proverb, we aren't supposed to allow their outsides to give us perception about their insides. But I do give attribution to covers, whether it is on books or people.

Have you ever judged a book by its cover? Does your appearance ever reflect how you are feeling inside?


"Never judge a book by its cover."
"Clothes make the man."


*Pictures from weheartit.com

10 comments:

  1. I almost always judge a totally unknown book by its covers. By which I mean that it is the cover that inspires me to pick up a book and read its blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can change clothes 47 times in the morning because it just didn't "feel" right that day. Too bright, too dark, too short, etc. Kinda like having the munchies and not wanting anything in your cupboard!

    Cool post...didn't know that about the cells

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always judge books by covers too. In my classroom I like collecting multiple covers so kids can see that the cover doesn't always tell the tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about this lately--wondering if I'd write with more confidence if I got out of my pj's when I sat down and got to it.

    With actual books, yes, I judge them by the cover all the time.

    People, try not to.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help but form an opinion or two about a book based on its cover. I know it's frowned upon, but it's a difficult habit to break.

    And yes, my appearance often reflects the way I am feeling. Whether or not I intend it to when I first put myself together is a different story . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know we say not to judge a book by it's cover, but sometimes I find myself picking up the books with really eye catching covers! So now I try to make my covers as awesome as possible, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For first impressions, yes, I always judge books by their covers, unless I already intimately know the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Times have changed... I judge a book by its amazon ratings :) I guess at first I judge the book by the title and cover but what I care more is if other people have liked it. So my question back to you is, do you judge a book by the # of stars and what people say about the book? Can you really judge a book by people's opinion? I honestly just don't have the time to read a bad book. So if I decide to invest my time to read a book, I read what the masses read... A sad reality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pick up a book based in its title. It's the first thing I see. Then I read the back cover copy, and those two things help me decide whether to buy a book or not. But it's mostly the title that makes me interested in a book. Too many amazing stories are often trapped within lackluster covers, so I don't pay too much attention to the covers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guilty of judging a book by its cover-- all the time. I know, I know, but I used to sell them in a store and the prettier ones sold!

    ReplyDelete