Monday, October 4, 2010

Dear Writing

Dear Writing:

I miss you. Medical school and you are less compatible than I had predicted. I try to visit you at night but after twelve hours of class and studying, I struggle with either time or energy. I do love everything I'm studying but you just get me in a different way.

I miss editing endless pages of fiction.
I miss reading author interviews and interesting blog posts about you. I miss our days and nights together. In many ways, I feel like I am betrothed to someone else while you and I are having an affair. I covertly open my Word documents in the middle of class. I daydream about our time together while I put on my latex gloves, conduct patient interviews, and analyze the pathologies of the nervous system.

I know that I haven't been good about making you feel special but please be a little more patient. I promise I'll try to visit you this week, even if it entails sneaking away from my textbooks.

Love,
Saumya


How do you fit writing into your schedule??

16 comments:

  1. You write so well Saumya, very crisp and to the point and yet so sweet.I can understand how people can love two things at the same time, and do justice to both. So be a good doctor and a good writer too. The world will love you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought I had it bad. It's amazing you get in any writing at all. Good luck with managing it all.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I sat by and watched my husband go through it. My eyes glaze over just thinking about the hours of studying you have. But way fun letter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't really well when I was working full-time. I wrote on Saturdays. It's hard but know that it is always there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Saumya, came here via Patti's blog. Loved your letter to your writing, I feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a med student.
    Best of luck to you.
    My writing time generally takes place of my reading time. Kind of sucks but I realize that I can generally only do one or the other. Not both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Saum! Don't work too hard, and keep writing because we all love hearing what you have to say =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) I think it's really amazing that you're in medical school and writing at the same time. Sometimes, writing has to take backstage to school, but as long as you can write, even just a little here and there, I think it's all right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Medical school definitely takes first place! Relax and do your best :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a sweet letter! I know your writing understands. Medical school is just as important as writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you find the time you need to write, somehow. I'm lucky to have a schedule that permits me a fair amount of writing time, and I want to be sure not to take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I can tell you, Soumya, is that you may not be able to write as much as you want, but if you love writing, words find you somehow. Dont' rush it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure writing understands. If you want to edit, you can do some of mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes you have to put writing aside while you do other things. When I went back to school, I tried very hard to keep working on my WIP, but eventually I just couldn't handle it and put it aside until I graduated. AND I wasn't going to medical school. You know that saying that goes something like, there's a time and season for everything. This is your season for medical school and that's all right. In fact, that's pretty fantastic. =]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, you go to medical school and you write. Honestly, tap yourself on the back right now!
    You shouldnt feel guilt, balancing the day job with writting isnt easy. Thats why it took me 4 years to finish my Wip...*good times...* lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww. I love this letter. I never thought of writing so personally before (as if it is a character itself). Hmmn, now you've got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete