Monday, October 18, 2010

I'm So Glad I Lost


Yesterday, I started thinking about the idea of loss and all of the events that brought me to where I am now.

So many of them may not have occurred if I had "won" every battle I was fighting.

If I held on to every single relationship that crossed my path, I may not have had the opportunity for the ones that replenish me now
(on that same note, if my first crush was my last, that would have been a disaster). If I did not trash my initial 150 pages and rewrite my novel from scratch, I would not have had as strong of a story. If I had not left everything I knew and moved to the city of my dreams, I would have never tapped into the truth depth of my passion. If my mother had not forced me into singing lessons in the third grade, I would have never had to courage to perform.

Sometimes things, people, and places leave us so that we can carve out room for others
. While many parts of us stay the same, many others continue to evolve and in that evolution, certain facets have to be eradicated and refined.

Are you happy about any battles you've "lost"?

11 comments:

  1. Yes, there are some battles I'm glad I lost! But there are some I'm not glad about losing. Maybe the reasons just aren't clear yet and I'll be happy about those losses later. Who knows? That's life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy about the battles I have won, which is what has made me into a strong person,physically, mentally and spiritually too.
    I don't regret the battles I have lost, for there must have been a reason why I did not win them. If i had won then maybe I would not be the person I am now. So in a way I am happy with my losing and winning too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am happy that i lose wrestling matches with my ego and my soul laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true! I can't begin to count the losses that have become blessings in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! I think I am more grateful about battles I have lost :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. Sometimes you can't see the benefit in a loss until much later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, and so true! All of our experiences have the benefit of leading us to who we are today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think anyone can be a good winner unless they can be a good loser. In sports and in all other aspects of life. We need to be able to lose with grace and understand how it affects us. It's the only way we can feel empathy and sympathy for others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic post. You raise a most pertinent question. Unless we lose, how can something even more wonderful take its place?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make such a great point here - losing things and losing battles can sometimes make us winners in amazing different ways!

    ReplyDelete