Thursday, November 18, 2010

Off to New York!















There is a sliver of me that never left New York.
...a portion of my spirit continues to roam through the subway stations, buying a pack of gum from the chubby Indian man who owns a newpaper stand, and then switching between work and school outfits.

I meet this piece of my former self every time Manhattan and I reunite. Like all great relationships, we pick up right where we left off, ignoring the corrosivity that usually comes with distance and time.

I think everyone remembers where they were or what they were doing when a new part of themselves started to evolve. In New York, I truly grew into a writer. I surrounded myself with other writers and basked in the ebb and flow of inspiration on a daily basis.

So, it's no surprise that the butterflies are flapping today, eager for what is ahead. I will be on the plane soon, ready for the reunion with one of my great loves!

Have a great weekend!!

When did you evolve into a new person?? What are your plans for the weekend?

8 comments:

  1. I hope your weekend is awesome! My family just left so this weekend is a recovering one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful. I hope you have a marvelous time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time in a fantastic city! Be sure to update us when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! And a great question. I can definitely say I evolved into a new person when I moved from Toronto to Seattle. The shock of being in a totally new environment (and out of my comfort zone) forced me to finally figure out what I wanted and who I was without other people's definitions of me affecting my definition of myself. I think everybody should move really far away just once in their lifetime, and see what happens.

    Have a wonderful time in New York! Love that city!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad you get to go back to New York and hopefully have an awesome time! I'm so envious, I've only been once and I really want to visit again!

    I think going to university definitely reshaped parts of me and made me more into a person I like being and am happy with. Mostly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool. . . and exactly how I feel about Florida. What can I say, New York is a little too loud & busy for me. I needed sunshine & Disney characters. To each her own right?

    Hope you have a great weekend, and bring some New York inspiration back with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It wasn't until I really started taking my craft seriously and joined the local writing community that I realized, hey, I can really do this. Before I wrote all by my lonesome, never daring to share it with others. I am so glad you found NYC to be so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how fun for you! I hope you have a great time in New York. I've never been there, and it's one of those places that's on my bucket list. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete