Monday, November 15, 2010

Something on Every Page?






















Some classmates and I were talking about how we used to dress up so much at the beginning of the year but as the year went on, the t-shirts and scrubs made their daily appearances. Pearl studs, heels, make up....all of those went out the door! Maybe it's human nature to put more effort in at the beginning of things...whether that means the beginning of a relationship, school year, project....but eventually, a steady erosion kicks in and we become complacent...resigned, even.

While I was thinking about this, I remembered some writing advice I found: make sure that there is something important on every page. In writing, that erosion cannot come into play. A reader should NOT be able to a skip a page and be fine. We have to put in that effort day in and day out, giving our work no choice but to exude meaning on every level.

And maybe it's okay to hit that restart button and do this more in daily life, no?

;)

7 comments:

  1. Well said and so true. When I get to the point in any given project where I start to feel lazy about it, I have to set it aside or that very thing will happen. When I'm motivated again, I jump back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is, perhaps, why I don't write novels. I try to be as exciting as I can in as few words as possible and that keeps the tension tight for me.

    Some people find if they do a flash fiction piece relating to their novels when they're stuck, it helps them. (I wouldn't know myself but could be worth a try if you ever do find yourself struggling.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you and your resilience. I love writing, but it's also one of the hardest things to do, especially if you are uninspired. I need to get better at just pushing through that hard part, not taking the easy way out. I could definitely take a lesson from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a perfect analogy between everyday life and writing. It's true that we always put in more effort in the beginning, but each page can benefit from having something important on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly - The pic is so freaking cute!

    Secondly - That is why the saying "New Brooms sweep well"

    Thirdly - I am so impressed to see how determined you are! I wrote more than 200 pages of my so called novel but gave up. I wish you much much better luck and determination :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only we could make all efforts on middles and ends like we do in beginnings.

    Great advice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great analogy! Funny, you can often see that in my first draft. As I get closer to the end, the details get fewer and fewer...

    ReplyDelete