Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Do You Get in Your Way?



You all know about my list obsession. This question came to me as I was making multiple goals lists: how often do I get in my own way?

1. Procrastination, dilly-dallying, whatever you want to call it, are all one example of how I get in my own way. When I leave things to later, I am preventing myself from satisfaction later on.

2. Self doubt is another one. I could beat myself up forever, telling poor little me how I'm not good enough or accomplished enough or skilled enough.... whatever.

Or I could acknowledge my weaknesses, work on them, and not allow them to stand in my way.

3. Looking back. I tend to ponder, stew, and pine over past friendships, obstacles, and memories. When it comes to writing, it is wonderful to scroll through all of those pages I have written and weave through various Word documents, but at some point, looking back is a serious hindrance to moving forward. Duh!

Solution? Give myself time limits to look back. After they are up, it is time to move on!


All of these hinder our progress--in writing, life, etc. There are certain things that just aren't in our control. But for those other things, maybe I can get a grip!

4 comments:

  1. hehe you are cute. "dilly-dallying."

    keep staying positive and something that might help is writing down all of the things you are lucky to have in life/have accomplished. that stops me from thinking about those negative memories/thoughts.

    i remember one year i got really down, so I just made a list and referred to it whenever things got rough. sounds a bit tacky haha, but really worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get in my own way all the time! I'm really focused on moving forward this year.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post! I also don't allow myself to feel down, and I always try ways to pick myself up! I think the most important thing is to keep swimming, one time or another, I'll reach the surface = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. A time limit sounds good. "I have five minutes to wallow in my funk - then I get over it!"

    ReplyDelete