Sunday, December 12, 2010

Firsts....

How important are those beginning words...that very first sentence?

We always hear about first dates, first impressions, first kisses, etc. So how do firsts weigh with other things?

I know that first chapters matter a lot in books; same goes with those first scenes in movies.


Here's one of my first lines:

"Remember," my mother says as she adjusts the folds of her blood red sari. "No man likes it when a woman complains too much."


Another first line:


The necklace was a grainy chain of diamonds that concluded in a smooth pearl---a contradiction of materials. Ideal for its giver and receiver.


First Singing Idol:


Mariah Carey


First Favorite Artist



Lisa Frank ;)



Sometimes firsts are easier to concoct than middles or lasts. A forgiving reader may move beyond slow pacing or a hackneyed introduction. Sometimes, they are difficult to make up for.

What are your firsts---sentences, favorite movies, role models---and how important do you think they are?

6 comments:

  1. It's probably a cliche, but I like the first sentence of Pride & Prejudice (going from memory, so I may be off) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." hahaha.

    My first favorite author/artist would have been Dr. Suess. But I really didn't have many crushes or favorites growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite first sentence? The one from my all time favorite movie "While You were Sleeping" (Although I am not sure if it is the first FIRST sentence or just a part of the first paragraph) :

    "Thank god life doesn't turn out to be as we planned" (Or something similar) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Vicki stole my first favorite line! Well, you gotta hand it to Austen. She rocks.
    I like this one from A Wrinkle In Time, because L'Engle totally gets away with using a cliche but I LOVE it anyway.

    "It was a dark and stormy night."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that your first favourite artist was Lisa Frank - I was obsessed with collecting Lisa Frank stickers for ages!

    First line from my current work-in-progress:

    "We waited, as the hands of the clock edged closer to midnight, for my Reaper to arrive."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey saumy! okay so this has nothing to do with your post but I had to share it with you. Check out this guys blog: http://viveksharmaiitd.blogspot.com/

    He is an amazing poet. I think you'll find "choicest wife for a north indian son hilarious."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Lisa Frank is a genius, Sangu ;)

    ReplyDelete