Thursday, December 23, 2010

Listen To Your Body


One of the (many) wonderful things about growing older is learning how to read your body. In med school, we study the importance of our body's "warning signs". They can tell us when something is just not right---physically, emotionally, spiritually. We know ourselves better than we think and sometimes our bodies can grasp cues that our minds ignore.

When a situation makes me comfortable, I tend to get a gnawing in the pit of my stomach. On the other hand, excitement comes in the form of shaking legs, deep heavy breaths, and a higher pitched voice.

Creating anything involves listening and knowing what our body is saying. Last night, I wrote a flirtacious scene between my main character and "the other guy" in her life. I wasn't sure if all of the elements were in place at first. So, I rewrote. Then I rewrote again.

At last, when I read the scene, I literally felt my fingers trembling. That was all I needed to know that the scene was finally functional.

I've read writer interviews where authors wait for those physical signs before moving on!

So, listen. Learn.