Sunday, January 30, 2011

Light in the Dark Moment


In fiction, there is a part of the book called The Dark Moment. It is a moment that fulfills the character's inner goal. It is also when the character is forced to evaluate and analyze their (usually destructive) choices.

(If any of you have written "dark moments", what elements did you make sure were in there? I put a lot of importance on the setting, building tension, describing facial expressions, and conveying feelings of desperation.)

All of us experience many of these so-called dark moments in our own lives,
when things come together in a turbulent avalanche and sometimes seem hopeless.


Maybe it's when we step on the weighing scale after a couple weeks of "indulging"
, maybe it's when tension is building up with a friend, maybe it's when we are about take a big test or embark on an important project. Maybe it's right after we know we've disappointed a family member or know that a certain relationship doesn't have a place in our lives anymore.

Either way, the most beautiful aspect of the dark moment---in fiction and in life---is that it sheds light on the conflict. A forced light. An essential one. That force requires choices. When we squeeze ourselves into uncomfortable moments, we force ourselves to act. Decide. Move forward. Without this, we can dilly dally for eternity and never resolve our issues.


So, there it is: sometimes, a healthy dose of discomfort can pave the way to a long term comfort :)

Have a great Sunday!



13 comments:

  1. So true! It's always a tense part of the book when the mc is making those discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dark moment. The lowest of the low. I've handled it differently in different manuscripts. Usually those moments force the protagonist to turn inward. More thoughts before the realization turns into action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the current WIP the dark moment is focused primarily on emotion, overcoming that conflict and the relief that follows. Made my MS soooo much better with that element. BTW, I LOVE the first picture. I wish I had a desk so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. Hate those moments, but they really do force us to grow. I think they really do bring a lot of clarity. It's easy to push things aside for a while, but sooner or later we all have to face the music. Then we really get to see what we're made of.

    Are you currently in the midst of writing a dark moment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant like always! It was pretty hard writing my books dark moments, but I hope Ive done a good job. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it takes skill to build the tension, guts to write the dark. although i love writing dark. wouldn't know if i'm exceptionally good at it, but it is my favourite 'topic'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great post as always! I loved this sentence: the most beautiful aspect of the dark moment---in fiction and in life---is that it sheds light on the conflict. Yes!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting and encouraging for a man returning to his art of fiction after 20 years away. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me want to go work on the dark moment in my WIP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading your post Saumya, I will be reworking on the Dark Moment in my MC's life. It takes a lot of skill to write a Dark Moment that can engage a reader and do justice to the entire story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't find my way back here!!
    A certain relationship doesn't have a place in our lives anymore... this was my dark moment this week with a person in my life--when you get that AHA moment and work through something really hard:) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, new to your blog and I liked your colorful way of writing a lot. I believe light and darkness complements each other and also bring shades into lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true! I always love those parts of the book (especially where you can see the character grow from them), but I'm not sure how well I'm able to craft them myself.

    ReplyDelete