Sunday, March 13, 2011

Own Your Time?



I am only beginning to learn how valuable just a single hour is.
I am also beginning to learn how valuable it is to spend time with just yourself.
To be honest, if I answered every "urge" and "instinct" I have, I would never get around to doing a lot of things that just need to be done, such as washing dishes, cleaning the bathroom, etc.

What usually happens?
I go to school, study, return e-mails and phone calls, and before I know it, the day is
gone and I haven't written a single word! Not only that, I have spent all of my time around others. Making plans, listening to problems, venting about my own, reading comments from patients, meeting with professors, blah, blah, blah

As an extrovert, this is where I derive a lot of energy.
But...
(Warning: this might sound emo, ...)
Sometimes, we need to just get away from everyone, from the responsibilities, duties, "I should"s.

An article I read in Forbes suggested to answer the important e-mails right away, delegate minimum time for social networking, and then shut everything else out just for 30 minutes.

That's why for the past few weeks, I have scheduled "alone time" in as a necessit
y. (Seriously, it's written in demanding, red Sharpie ink in the planner.)

Since I am a student, do not have kids, or a husband, a lot of my time is a little more in my control than I give it credit for. This is a habit that I hope
to continue throughout my life, as it is therapeutic on many levels.

Because let's be honest, if we sit around and wait for the time to do things, it won't ever come!


Do you schedule time just for yourself?

P.S. On a side note, I went home this weekend because my baby brother went to prom!



This is hard to pin on!




Siblings a.k.a. my little princess and prince!

13 comments:

  1. Good idea to schedule alone time for yourself. If I did that, I'd write more too. I'm going to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, you have to make time for yourself. It is all the more important that you use your time wisely, as you don't have other things that might take priority in your life, like husband, children etc., when you would realize that time is no longer under your control.
    Never let time slip away from your hands and regret. You have to study, you have to clean the house and you have to write too, but I am sure you would be able to devote the required time to all these things without compromising on anything.
    Wish you all the best in your time management.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww look at you Miss Pretty! :)

    Time management is a very elusive concept for me. With a husband who is equally busy in his science as much as I am worried about - what to cook for this week, have I answered all the emails?, have I done laundry? - it sometimes happens that ME time has become US time :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the rush, we sometimes lose ourselves to every demand put upon us. It is important to find our center, even for a little while.

    It is also important to take a moment and breathe so you remember the little things. It's easy to go past a million acres of flowers and not once think about the beauty or simplicity. Sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm an introvert, so when I don't get that alone time I start getting really scattered and cranky. Nothing is as precious as time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Saumya...love the idea of scheduling time for oneself. I am trying to do that too. But Time Management is something I am yet to master, but I will surely do it, as I am determined.

    Thanks for sharing the pictures. It looks like its also your prom night, not just your brother's. :)

    Regarding your previous post, thanks for the shoutout. For some strange reason I was unable to comment as the comment widget (hope its called that) had disappeared. Were other people able to comment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pix! You all look quite dashing, I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful family!
    Yes, I plan for alone time-- I need it quite often and I don't feel guilty taking it when I can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's why I play guitar - it's me time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! I hope you can get into a routine of time for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! Nice photos. Yes, I do plan time for me. It is a must:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't schedule alone time as I'm alone most of the time. I have trouble connecting with people in real life. I'm a single middle-aged male so younger males don't want to hang out due to age issues and men my age that are married only want to hang out with couples. So that leaves me pmuch with plenty of time for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get squirrelly if I don't get enough alone time - I'm an introvert so I go crazy without it :)

    Love the prom pictures!

    ReplyDelete