Saturday, April 30, 2011

Nerdy Main Character



Nerdy guys are the best guys.
I've always had a thing for the guy who can discuss political theories for hours, who loses himself in hours of studying, who is just a little awkward when he approaches a girl.
And glasses.
Love glasses.

So when it came time to think of a male main character, I knew I wanted someone nerdy. But I also wanted to pluck him out of the cliche'. So, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...


Neil Desai:

Columnist
Princeton graduate; Rhodes Scholar elect
Indecisive
Social butterfly; makes friends wherever he goes and always buys rounds of drinks
Always late
Well dressed, always carries a messenger bag
Loves his daily coffee with a tablespoon of cream

Samir was my inspiration for this character. They aren't identical but there are many similarities.



(Used this one for his hair)


Who are some of your favorite characters (your own or others)?

9 comments:

  1. Neil sounds terrific. We've already been introduced, and I can see why your MC can't get him out of her mind! ;)

    One of my favorite male characters is Gilbert Blythe from the Anne Shirley series by L.M. Montgomery. I also love the Weasley twins in the Harry Potter books! I like a man who is smart and funny and is okay with being the nice guy. Now that's sexy! And my hubby fills those requirements perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've described your male MC very well, BUT, you left out something.
    Does romantic situation leave him, Timid? Shy? Runs the other way? Confidant? Takes control? First timer?

    Love what you have and I already have him pictured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love an awkward, savvy guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I'd forgotten my love for the Weasley twins until Laura's comment above reminded me, especially Fred (didn't he always seem to be the initiator of funny?). Tyrion Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire rocks because he's a sarcastic, brilliant but underappreciated dwarf. Basically funny and intelligent boys/men it seems.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes - nerds are definitely HOT. Especially if they're John Green created nerds. Mmmmm.

    Thanks for the follow! I will definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love geeks as they play video games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOh! I love geeks! Specially when they get the girl. Hmmmmm... my fave geeks are Clark Kent (teeheehee!), Cameron James (10 Things I Hate About You), Ronald Miller (Can't Buy Me Love). LOL!

    As soon as you said geek - I got reminded of Ricki Lee's this music video. Check out the geek boy there. Although a bit too much, he is HOT! :D

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auRA8L0pICk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh, I'm excited to check out the video, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sooooo agree with you on this! The first line...well, says it all! Three cheers for nerdy guys! :p ;))

    ReplyDelete