Tuesday, April 19, 2011

on failure


There have been many times---throughout the past few years, especially---when I have failed. Utterly failed. In "big" things and "small". In exercise routines and word counts.
Agent rejections became a regular visitor to my inbox.
Word documents were stowed away, never to travel or be seen by another set of eyes.
A relationship evolved into its unrecognizable, ugly stepsister.
Days were counted in Starbucks cups and fruit salads.


I gave up. Deleted. Threw in many linen towels.
Became a fragmented shell of myself.
Hit rock bottom, not knowing where things would lead, if all of the effort I put in was ever worth it.
Wished I could shrink down my dreams because maybe they were out of reach


But eventually, I moved on.
Realized that measuring life with accomplishments was nice but also quite transient and foolish.
Learned how failure served as a shovel, allowing me to dig towards a firmer peace and self-acceptance.
That maybe the key was to relish each step of the journey and as a result, detach from the destination.

So, here's a thank you
to failing



10 comments:

  1. I have failed many times. And yet, I'm still here and moving on!

    PS) I know you enjoy the quote days on my blog, and so I'm letting you know tomorrow for Q there will be quotes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you on this. Some of the most important skills in life: persistence and resilience.

    Heck, I've performed to empty theaters before. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus without failure, how do we fully recognize or appreciate success? Writing is one of the most humbling experiences anyone can have. Just remember everyone in the writing community has gone/will go/is going through this too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not failures, learning processes!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aah, you have no idea how much i needed to hear this. Talk about an appropriate timing. I like that your words have a sense practicality to them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without failure how will you ever learn??

    I am not going to say that it didn't hurt but the good thing was you got something out of it. That is what is important.

    Cheers to falling and getting up again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Without knowing the price failure exacts, one cannot appreciate the value of success.

    Thomas Edison has the best quote on failure though, since I often mention it, I won't bore you with it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I loved this "Realized that measuring life with accomplishments was nice but also quite transient and foolish. Learned how failure served as a shovel, allowing me to dig towards a firmer peace and self-acceptance." So wise! Now I just need to remember this when I hit the hard ground of failure, or shall we say, "presumed failure" next time.

    Thank for for introducing me to Nicolas Kristof. I have been enjoying his articles so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also it's not like any of those "failures" with rejections are in your hands. It seems arbitrary on what gets picked from the slush pile of queries. In other words...none of that is in your control.

    ReplyDelete