Saturday, May 14, 2011

revisions, oh my




"For everything worthwhile in life, no matter what it is, you're going to have to do some things along the way that you really don't want to do."

-My dad

I do think this is true for any job you are in. There will be a period of time to build an investment, start at the bottom of the totem pole. Not that the bottom or beginning is always filled with bad things.

Sigh. This is what I remind myself through finals, exercise routines, and....revisions!
Aubrie left an insightful comment the other day about revisions being akin to crunches: annoying but so beneficial!

It was such a great analogy. While some people become addicted to exercise because of these tiny little molecules named endorphins and others love the revising process, I never fell into one (or either) of those lucky camps.

So, I split it up, chapter by chapter. Give myself a break after each one. Throw in some appreciation, ask for external feedback. Repeat. Know that there is always room for improvement and hope that I take advantage of that.

And maybe that's all quite analogous to life :)


12 comments:

  1. Love the quote! Sounds like your dad is a smart man. And I'm like you . . . the endorphins never kicked in---for exercising or revising, but little by little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted on revisions yesterday! The humor of my critique partners makes it endurable. Even downright fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the quote of your father.Yes revision is a big pain, any day I can take exercising, for it never bores me.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just so right, what your dad said.. Need to remember that all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be keeping these words in mind.
    Definitely needed a post like this today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Aubrie! And your dad! I attended the NESCBWI conference. One of the founders of SCBWI, Lin Oliver, reminded us, It takes years of hard work to have overnight success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the middle of revisions. I feel like it's all I do any more. But that's OK. I break it down, too. One chapter at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good saying! Sounds as though you really have a good working plan:)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I agree -- your dad is very wise! I'm in the middle of revisions right now, so I understand that pain, but it's true.. it will all be worth it (I hope!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. But we can still grumble about the parts as we go through them, right? Please? Anyone? lol

    ReplyDelete