Monday, June 6, 2011

at home (and twitter?!)

The best thing about blogging was finding people who have the same goals, fears, and views as I do. I never knew writers until I blogged and there's a kinship I feel with every single one.

So this past weekend left me rattled in a way I haven't been since I began blogging and took my year "off". I attended a Narrative Medicine conference. It involved waking up at 6 a.m. before and throughout the weekend, riding the muggy, deserted subway for an hour each way, and cursing myself for not buying those inserts for high heels...and I can't think of the last time I felt this at home.

All of the attendees worked in health care and had a love for literature. Perfect, right?!
We all met because of stories: to share them, exchange our own, create new ones, and learn how to extract them from others. There was one physician who survived cancer, another lady who conducts writing workshops for H.I.V. patients, another whose husband died of a brain tumor one year after they were married, and so many more...


Some quotes I recorded from the weekend:

"A great work of literature leaves us unsettled" Toni Morrison

"Creative people tend t
o tolerate uncertainty better" (from a study we read and discussed)

"Writing allows us to reflect and reflection prevents burnout because we can derive meaning from what we are doing all the time."

"The world wants us to fit into templated narratives and it's a w
riter's duty to defy that want."


Also, New York's been so good to me these past couple of weeks. I'm going to miss her :(


Brunch and Bridesmaids


Best street artist ever...every day, he perches himself under the arch in Washington Square Park





Mid afternoon Starbucks stop with my baby sister



Washington Square Park



Dessert after a stressful day



Samir whisked me away on a date on the first Friday night

Oh and I have to sign up for Twitter. Ah, bring on the distractions.

Are any of you on there? I'd like to follow you!

20 comments:

  1. I've just started tweeting. It's actually quite addictive. I'm so jealous that you're in New York! I went there for my honeymoon and fell in love with it. And the conference sounds really interesting. Hope you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time! Yes, I'm on twitter - AlexJCavanaugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some awesome pictures! I love NYC and I am glad you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a great time, Saumya. Samir and you look lovely together. I have not yet joined Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on Twitter. I go through phases where I tweet a lot for a few days, then don't do it at all for a few days. And I rarely actually read my friends feed, haha. But follow me if you want and I'll follow you back :) my twitter handle is ickletarakins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been anywhere out of Wisconsin. I envy the scenery change.

    I am scared to death of twitter. One more place for my words to get lost in the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww I love the photos - you look like you really have had an amazing time!

    Twitter's fun. I've had it a while now. It's a fun place to chat to tons of people and it's a great networking tool work-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I am not usually the jealous type, but I ENVY YOU so much for your great conversations with fellow literature enthusiasts, and WHAT AMAXING quotes! I just copied and pasted them. Really. See? Here:

    "Creative people tend to tolerate uncertainty better"

    "Writing allows us to reflect and reflection prevents burnout because we can derive meaning from what we are doing all the time."

    "The world wants us to fit into templated narratives and it's a writer's duty to defy that want."

    I live for conversations like that. I crave them like chocolate, or like water in a desert.

    Yum, that desert, wine, and date sounds nice too! And Starbucks with your sister. I dont' have a sister to have Starbucks with. Wait, no, never mind. I have three dear friends that count as sisters. Forget envy. I am blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, you are blessed :) And I love "craving them like chocolate"...it is SO true. Those conversations are the most nourishing thing out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just joined the twitterpation!
    https://twitter.com/#!/JA_Ball

    :) Hey, check out my post on my free book contest. Ilona Andrews latest Magic Slays, for free! LOL, great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm on twitter as ScatteredDancer.

    I'm so jealous of your New York experience! Glad you had a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can find me on Twitter :) TheLVWriter Looks like you had a great time in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pix, Saumya! I'm on twitter as gargimehra. Look forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so awesome! I was on Twitter but I can't shut up at 140 characters LOL!

    Coffee + sisters = perfect afternoons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been wondering when you'd start tweeting!!! Follow me @LauraMarcella !

    I love those quotes. I'm glad you had such a great time!

    I tagged you in my post today! You don't have to play; I just thought you'd like to see it. :) Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pictures...lovely quotes! It's always fun to drop by your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like it was inspirational and affirmational. I like the pictures.

    I'm not on Twitter because I'm trying to limit my many distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you had a fabulous time. I'm on Twitter. mpax1

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey! I was going to comment on your Wednesday post, but there's no comment button.

    ReplyDelete