Wednesday, June 15, 2011

nights into mornings


Photo from cruise deck

As I've said before, I'm not a morning person. I cringe at the sound of my alarm, wake up at the last minute, and rush out the door with a granola bar in hand.
Nights are better (for me). Everyone's asleep. It feels intimate to just be with my words or a classic movie.

But on the last evening of the cruise, a couple of us decided to stay up to watch the night evolve into the morning.

The colors came slowly, each making its own appearance, using the sky as a canvas. Light pinks, purples, blues..
Like most people, I was seduced with the shades but more than that, I caught a vivid glimpse of what I'd been missing, avoiding. The hush of the world. One so deep that it revives you, makes you want to connect with that sense of serenity in you. I grasped a heightened sense of my insignificance while at the same time acknowledging the tangible place that I held in this world.

And all was well.

So, yes, I will always be a night person but there is something renewing about the morning.

"You should have seen that sunrise
With your own eyes
Brought me back
To life"
John Mayer