Wednesday, June 15, 2011

distance to get closer

Greetings from Casablanca!

Writing's been difficult lately. And I'm more frustrated about the frustration itself than the fact that I haven't been writing as much. Does that make any sense at all?

As I flew to Africa today
(more on that later because it's been a surreal and life changing day,), I was sure I'd come to the hotel and fall asleep. The trip was a way to escape my life, the things that occupy my mind, and focus on others.

But the first thing I noticed when we landed was the smell. I turned into my parents, whispering, "It's just like India" every chance I could.
It reeked of hard work and activity. Industrialization. A summer that was never dormant.

Suddenly, everything was new and had to be soaked in. I scribbled in my notebook about the details around me and slowly felt myself crawling out of a shell. Like a long lost friend, writing came back to me, wanting to be pursued.

Then I ate dinner with my incredible travel partners and favorite columnist. We discussed the themes that lay ahead of us, the stories we want to capture while we're here. The gravity of my dreams came into focus.

So as I sit in my hotel room, Arabic television droning in the background, I recognize that we often escape just to return back to our refreshed selves.



16 comments:

  1. Ooh, congratulations on finding your muse. I just love when that happens. <3

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
    Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
    YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stimulate the senses and the writing will follow... i'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a neat trip to take. I'm sure you'll have a lot of material for your writing there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are you doing in Casablanca?
    Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, wonderful post. Enjoy Africa, and keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I'm so jealous that you're in Casablanca! I've always wanted to go there, and to Morocco in general.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crawling out of a shell! That's wonderful. May the muse be w/ you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how when you go somewhere new and you have no opportunity to write, that's when you're creative battery gets a major (and often much needed) recharge!

    Sounds like a great trip so far! Enjoy and keep scribbling away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you keep us informed of everything. You should come up with a lot of great material with all of this. I am very interested to see what you produce when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Play it once Sam. For old times sake"... *sigh* Casablanca.

    Wow, girl! You are globe trotting! I hope you get lots of ideas and have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited to hear more about your journey. There is nothing like travel to awaken your senses and start scribbling furiously!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you're already having an amazing time, can't wait to hear more! I wrote a lot during my two recent trips (one week to the south of France, two days in London) but most of my notes weren't directly related to a story. It was still good to write though.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW Casablanca! You're so lucky. Hope you have an amazing time x

    ReplyDelete
  16. You write really well!glad i stumbled across ur blog

    ReplyDelete