Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cut it Out?

Whether it's with a work project or relationship, how do you decide if it's better to just cut it out?

And if you do, does it ever really leave you? When I've deleted some things I've written, the words are gone, yes but sometimes those themes and styles reveal themselves again.

I ask this because I've had to let go of relationships along the way (I'm sure most of us have, whether they're romantic ones or not). But every once in a while, more than I wish, I find myself wondering how this person is doing. Things will remind me of them and the reaction is like a Pavlovian dog: wistfulness, grief, guilt, and doubt. It might be something obvious, like a song we both used to enjoy, or something unexpected, like a cheesy line from Grey's Anatomy.

Time can do tricky things: it can make us think we are more healed than we are while also making things seem more valuable than they are.

But I'm finding that some things are impervious to time. I'm not sure if the things we care about truly ever leave us.

Maybe they do in a broad sense but surely, they leave a fragment behind...


6 comments:

  1. it is so true. i think that's the beauty and pain of life. there's a part in a song that i like that says, "i would not trade what is broken for beauty only." -Nichole Nordeman

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can think of several situations and people like that in my life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had to let go of relationships along the way too, but I've never forgotten the good memories. I'm sure you know the popular quote: “Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.”

    I think the same sentiment can go for anything in life, even the things we write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think they ever go away. But I also think they become a part of us and linger around in our memories.

    Mostly these memories/ words/ themes are the ones who make us who we are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AS4S, I LOVE that line! I need to check out more lyrics.
    Alex, Glad I'm not the only one
    Laura, I love that quote! So true.
    Brahmin, I agree...they don't go away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're absolutely right here - no matter how trivial or important, the things we care about never really go away. Great post!

    ReplyDelete