Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I haven't learned much but I have learned some things...

1. Summer is the time to embrace laziness and lemonade...it's okay that everything is moving slower

2. When writing anything, get someone else, anyone to look at it. Nothing compares to a fresh pair of eyes and the work can always improve.

(on a similar note, don't start a query with a question unless it's the most compelling question in the world, don't start a book with a dream, and don't write for others...

sincerely,
the girl who learned these the hard way and doesn't want you to do the same)


3. At some point, it becomes fun to be "boring". Sleeping early, eating home cooked food, watching Animal Planet on a Saturday night...

4. You can read for pleasure only or you can read for pleasure and to learn. Only the latter will help you improve your craft.

5. It's wonderful to date a man who challenges you but the real strength and discovery comes with the man who cherishes you as you are
(firm believer in the nice guys finishing first theory)

6. Sometimes the best writing happens when you're not writing

7. Facebook is a great blue land but it usually turns into a bigger waste of time than it should

8. True style is wearing what's best on you not whatever is on the runway

9. Secrets are liberating: the ones we share with those special others, the ones we keep folded in ourselves

10. Keep going...you owe it to yourself

6 comments:

  1. Love this list, especially #3 and #9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you on # 4, 6, and 7. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book suggestion. I was looking for a good "style/fashion" related book, so your timing couldn't be more apt. Also, I strongly agree with # 5. Needless to say, I learned that the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being boring! I've spent the day napping and reading and it's been FAB.

    Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved these! #4 is something I've learned this past year, others I'm still working on :) Thanks for the pick-me-up this Monday morning! Speaking of Facebook - do you mind if I repost those Audrey Hepburn quotes, too? I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the list. Completely resonates with me :)

    ReplyDelete