Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Swift Kick in the Rear End


Us writers tend to become emotional. And it's not just in the "I'm happy today" and "sad now" emotional. We set up furniture in our emotions. Build homes around them. Become complacent. Allow them to control us.

Or at least, that's what I've realized I do at low points.

It's wonderful to be patient and kind with yourself, to be understanding when things just don't seem to fit...

But every once in a while, I think I need a kick in the butt.
A stern, rational voice to say, "Get up, get over it, and move on."


The more I learn, the more I see that nothing was ever created without a lot of hard work, disappointment, and a strong desire to give up. Even if it's for a quick flash, I think everyone's flirted with the idea of walking away. What separates this project/relationship/opportunity from the rest is the desire to keep at it when it seems more sane to let go.






6 comments:

  1. Is that what's wrong with us? We're just nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. Sometimes we gotta just stop coddling ourselves and get the job done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what you said is very correct, sometimes we do need a kick in the butt, and you would also know that many times we are thankful for that kick which made us get up and get going. Good thinking. Good to know you had a nice trip to Africa. Lucky you!
    BTW, please come and vote for me in the house contest if you can. The voting is still on, but only till Thursday 9am. Thanks Rama.

    http://www.prismma.in/2782/ramas-stylish-home/
    www.prismma.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. ". What separates this project/relationship/opportunity from the rest is the desire to keep at it when it seems more sane to let go. "

    this is worded so, so, so perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I feel I need a hard kick in the butt when I start slipping from my writing routine.

    How are things with you, Saumya?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanx for a good reminder that I am not alone in this crazy writing struggle. I need routine but I also need to be kicked out of it once in a while for a fresh view.

    ReplyDelete