Tuesday, September 6, 2011

on what makes success and a lovely indian wedding (in pictures)

Two things to share:

1. My friend told me he read a book that stated successful people tend to constantly think of how much they have left. I disagreed. While there is importance in that, the problem is how the book is defining success in the first place. Or rather, how success is defined in general. Sometimes it's too focused on the tangible. But if we are always looking forward, I don't think we are giving the past and present enough significance.
I met so many people this past weekend who told me their dream was to write a book. It made me think of all my blogger friends, who are spending their days pursuing things that others may leave to theory at the moment. Relish in that. It takes courage and action.

2. Another friend, one of my closest ones from college, married her true love. I've been to many wedding but this was the first good friend's one and it was surreal really, to see such an amazing person's dreams unfold right in front of me. The joy bled to everyone close to her and made the entire weekend a constant celebration, even when we weren't in a ceremony. (Indian weddings have a lot of events...I'm talking several days worth.)
By the end, we were exhausted in the best way possible.


The gorgeous bride during her mendhi (henna) ceremony.

Group picture right after the wedding

During the reception

With my college roommates :)

8 comments:

  1. You guys certainly know how to do a colorful wedding!
    And I guess I'm not a successful person then, because I try not to think about how much time I have left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos! I just went to a wedding where two of my friends married each other, and I've never been so excited--it really is different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful photos, I love weddings, and I love wearing saris!

    I agree, there is something different about going to a friends' wedding. Unlike a family wedding, you have met the other half and seen the relationship grow, and so that makes it all the more special. It also is a reminder of what stage you are in life as well, when all of your friends are getting married.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are looking beautiful. Weddings are always fun.
    Must have enjoyed the food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to be part of an Indian wedding someday! Wonderful pictures! The clothing makes me drool! (in a good way).

    So true: there are different definitions of success! Mine is to make a difference and make other lives better while I'm here. If that means getting a book published so I can reach people that way, great! - but it doens't HAVE to be that. there are so many other ways to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all look lovely, Saumya. Weddings are fun and also tiring events with the number of functions that are a part of Indian weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey you look great, Saumya! I love weddings, especially because I get a chance to whip out those sarees and dress up. I’m looking forward to attending a couple in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! Indian weddings always look like such a joyous, loving, and super fun occasion. I'm glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete