Monday, October 10, 2011

Using a love for books and words as decoration

In my new apartment, I wanted to incorporate my love for words, books, writing, etc. in a way that added to the decoration without being overwhelming.


Typewriter keys in a picture frame (until I get a real one someday!)


Gah, sorry for the glare! The New Yorker magazine has some gorgeous and meaningful covers (check out this one in memory of Steve Jobs). I found a Jane Austen cover that matched the rest of my apartment and blew it up to 8 X 10.

I found these gorgeous candles at Target and paired them with black candlesticks from Michaels. The picture is from my last plane ride leaving New York City. I tinted it pink to match the other splashes of color in my living room (my color scheme is black, white, and pink).



Blurry picture but hopefully you can see that I used a thin stack as a support for a photo. It looks wonderful if you happen to have books that are in the same color palette!

During my next break, I hope to sew a quote on a pillow cover or two and frame a Sylvia Plath poem.

14 comments:

  1. Saumya, I love the decor of your new place. It's simple, yet represents you a wonderful way! Enjoy the new place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful decorations! I love your color scheme, and I'm going to hunt those candles down--they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat ideas and how to tie them into the color scheme. I have a lot of bookshelves in my space and I love to mix and match books with photos and memory-laden knickknacks on my shelves. I have sort of an antique map theme going on my walls, but I love your ideas for incorporating a love of words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those candles are fabulous! thanks for your comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat idea! And yes, I do love the candles. If I ever get my downstairs functional enough to put up my bookcases, I will definitely use that book idea with some photos. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from a new follower! I just found you through Janet's blog. I love the decorating ideas. LOVE IT! Very cute and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful decorations! My office is full of teddy bears, cards and child like paintings...It reflects me as a writer. The rest of the house is grown up. :D

    I popped over from Janet's blog...she spotlighted you today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the decorations! Especially the typewriter keys.

    I'm another new follower from Janet's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas! I'm saw your link over at Janet Sumner Johnson's blog and am stopping by to say hello. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent ideas to make it more you! I love how you've made sure your love of books is everywhere without it being obnoxiously in your face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely decorations. Suits us writers perfectly. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that picture frame with the typewriter keys!

    ReplyDelete