Monday, November 28, 2011

If I knew then what I know now Part 2...

Given the chance, what would you tell your old self?
Here are some things that crossed my mind this week...


1.
Value the people in your life but make peace with cutting certain people out. It's not a friendship if it's draining. Toxicity is contagious.

2. Lists are important but the things that need to get done will get done. Don't obsess about things that don't deserve your obsession.

3. Hiding behind loose, baggy clothing doesn't make you look more intelligent. It shows that you aren't valuing yourself. There's a difference between comfort and complacency.

4. It's okay to enjoy every piece of chocolate from a bag of Doves. Don't allow them to pave a guilty road.

5. Drink a lot of water and eat fiber each day. And find the best moisturize for your skin.

6. Be careful with judgment. It will disappear when you're in terrible predicaments.

7. Sometimes going further away from the people you love---family, friends---will bring you closer to them. Everyone needs space to prosper.

8. You'll never regret traveling to an unfamiliar corner of the world alone. Take many solitary bus rides through foreign countries.

9. Cultivate a taste for good food and wine. Your body will thank you for it.

10. Remember it's okay to act your age. You'll waste a lot of time looking forward and planning.

11 comments:

  1. Very interesting question!

    Firstly I would say - take a deep breath. Nothing is as bad as you think it is :)

    Secondly - Value yourself. Never think what others must be thinking about you.

    Thirdly - Don't waste time arguing with fools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all your points. I would also add never to judge anybody, not even your own self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd tell my younger self to put on sunscreen fifteen minutes before going in the sun. I can't tell you how many times I put sunscreen on while already in the sun and it does not work that way! I know now that following directions on the bottle is important!

    Another thing I'd tell my younger self: Just because you have the freedom of speech doesn't mean you should voice your opinion every time you have one. Sometimes it's best to remain silent!

    PS) I'm back to blogging today and that means Monday Quote Day starts up again on Dec. 5th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I love this! Especially "It's not friendship if it's draining"--I've learned that one the hard way. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days I don't act my age - is that all right?
    Very wise list, Saumya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great list though I find it ironic that you placed the dove chocolates directly after #3 (grin!)

    I would tell my younger self to relax and just be yourself, and accept other people and love them just as they are, not as I expect them or want them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can attest to #7, you are less likely to take those people for granted

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea for a post - love your list, Saumya!

    I'd tell myself to hang in there and not to give up on anything, because everything will work itself out (and the downs invariably go up again!)

    I'd also tell myself not to be such a dramatic, obnoxious twit. I'm not sure I like my past self much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love 1, 8,9 and 10th in the list. There are days when I never used to act my age which has landed me in trouble. I used to be judgemental especially with my close one, I should avoid that..This list is a great reminder...Thanks a lot, Soumya.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still trying not to obsess over things! Grrrr... :) Happy almost-birthday!

    ReplyDelete