Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Writing the beginning of the end

Since I posted about the elements of the beginning, I thought I'd include a nice list of what should be in the "dark moment" or that crucial part before the ending.
by Alicia Rasley

The 5 Ds of the Dark Moment:

Dilemma-- the situation has disintegrated around the protagonist, and all seems lost.

Desperation-- the protagonist flails about, considering the most extreme escapes from the dilemma.

Despair-- the protagonist surrenders to despair, certain that there is no way out.

Deconstruction-- in the calm that follows despair, the protagonist begins to analyze the situation, deconstructing needs, values, and options.

Decision-- the protagonist decides what can be discarded, and what's most essential to be kept, and determines a course to achieve that.


10 comments:

  1. Never seen it worded that way, but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it listed like this before, but I like how it's easy to remember. Thanks for sharing! Hope things are well with you, Saumya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I always have trouble with the low point, so this is perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true, sounds very much like the situation in my story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the month of November is quiet around the blogging world? I thought it was only me. But, I couldn't help but pause to visit a few of my favorite blogs. Love these D's of a Dark Moment. Been a few of these in my life, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I'll have to remember the 5 Ds from now on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Love the "D"s. Thanks for sharing.

    ~Sherry

    Check out my Books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome list, and perfect for plotting my SNI. Thanks :)

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete