Monday, December 19, 2011

Pendulum

Do you ever find yourself oscillating between two extremes? Fear and confidence? Apathy and love?

Last week, thanks to finals, all I could do was live at school, study, and eat unhealthy food. Since I've been home, all I can do is sleep, watch television, and eat unhealthy food.
Perhaps I need these days of "nothing" to recover from my days saturated with "somethings." I think I make the mistake of piling too much on my plate and then allowing it all to drown me.

I'm realizing it boils down to one flaw: I suck at doing nothing. It's an art form that I need to cultivate. When I'm in front of the television, I feel like I should be writing. When I'm perusing blogs, I feel like I should be studying. There's always something.

Stress, like beauty, might be in the eye of the beholder. Learning how to say no, not caring as much about what other people are going to say, and devoting myself to causes I believe in can all help me live in that space between extremes. A space I can make a home in.

10 comments:

  1. Oh little grasshopper! I can teach you the fine art of doing nothing. And without guilt. It's awesome!
    And that's really awesome you're reading my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I suck at doing nothing. It's an art form that I need to cultivate."

    Wow. I think I have the PhD at this :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's tricky to enjoy ourselves in the moment, isn't it? I hope you let yourself "just be" this week! You deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. I find it hard to be productive when I have lots of time. I've gotten better since I've made an effort. But if you've been working hard, let yourself chill a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, finding balance!!! Esp. when there are intense periods of busyness and work followed by vacations.

    Hey, Nathan Bransford just posted on quarter life crisis!!!! http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2011/12/how-art-changes-with-us.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds so much like something I would write. I overwhelm myself so often, with work and blogging and traveling and just general stuff that needs to be done (cooking, cleaning, caring for my pets and the like)...and then as soon as I catch a break and SHOULD be doing nothing, I still can't bring myself to just sit still for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its difficult to find the balance, Saumya. You have been working hard, so enjoy a small break. You have earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I enjoyed my do nothing time before I had a child. Learn to enjoy it without guilt now, because one day, you might not have any do nothing time at all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I'm reading blogs, even I feel I should be studying. And efren I'm studying I feel there are so many other things to be done which deserves my attention far better than studies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Balance is hard, as a fellow college student I know how stressful that can be! Although I wish I had a bit more of your "can't do nothing" attitude.

    ReplyDelete