Sunday, January 29, 2012

News and uh, the stuff after the news

Hey all,
I wanted to let you know that I've officially gotten an agent. :)
Rather, I'm represented by Elizabeth Kracht of Kimberly Cameron Associates.
The past couple of months have been a whirlwind with phone calls and tough decisions. I ended up not accepting with someone who I thought would be the agent of my dreams and sending fulls to places I was sure would laugh at me. In the end, I chose with the best of both worlds for my personal taste: great chemistry and experience.
I know I'm working with a talented, charismatic, and driven woman. She gets my work and me. I couldn't be happier.
If you'd like more information on this hunt, feel free to ask in the comments or e-mail me.

Before I go into any more detail, there are some incredible people I need to thank:

Laura, my first writer friend in the blogging world. I'm lucky enough to now call her my critique partner. Laura has given me the most insightful feedback I could ask for. She spent a lot of time getting to know my characters and letting me know what was working and what wasn't. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that connection and gratitude that occurs without even "meeting" someone.

Margo, an always compassionate and kind blogger who also went through my (too many) pages. Margo gave me encouragement when I was pretty close to calling it quits. She continues to be one of my favorite bloggers.

Rachna and Gargi-for going through my first chapters. Those are the ones I rewrote the most! Their reactions were valuable to me before I sent out those partials and fulls.

Lydia, for answering my questions about agent-author etiquette and other things. As a physician, writer, mother, and much more, she's a role model for me in many ways.

Now for part 2:
I'd like to do a giveaway (sort of):
-The first 4 people who are followers and leave a comment will get a query critique.
All of my research has taught me a lot about querying and I'd love to share in any way that I can.
I limited it to 4 because I want to give my best to each one.

25 comments:

  1. OMG!! Congratulationssssss!!!

    I am so happy for you Saumya!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That is so wonderful--I love your blog and am glad your writing career (and your med school) is moving right along :).

    (I'd love a query critique, but honestly don't want to force you to suffer through my current problem-child. It's terrible, so feel free to bypass me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brahmin :)
      Lee, I'd love to talk a look. saumyawrites@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the agent, Saumya, that's amazing news! It's also so sweet of you to thank the people who helped you get the book ready to query. And oh my goodness, more details please! Would you be able to share the query that got you an agent or is that a no-no?

    I don't have a query for you to crit, so you can go ahead and count me out; I just didn't want to wait to say congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sophia :) I'll definitely ask if I can share the query because that may help people out. Will keep you posted and thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!!! That's so exciting that you found the perfect agent for you! I'd love to know more about the process--why did you end up rejecting your dream agent? How did you know the agent you picked was the one for you?

    And I'd LOVE a query critique. Mine needs a lot of work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith :) I always love your comments. I think I'll actually write a post on the process since I've gotten some e-mails about it as well. Hopefully it will give some insight for anyone in a similar position.

      I'd love to look at your query. Send it to saumyawrites@gmail.com whenever you'd like.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! That is a big achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. Congratulations to you, too on your achievements every week!

      Delete
  6. Oh thank you for mentioning me! I'm so glad I was a help and encouragement!!! I can't WAIT to see your book on the shelves. I will give copies to all my friends and brag about knowing you and reading it before it came out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on getting an agent!

    I'm in that spot right now where I'm trying to decide if I want to try to bother with an agent or if I want to just self-publish. ugh. I've been doing some research on it and I'm not QUITE ready to send anything in for review/publication yet anyway, but it's a big freaking decision that I"m kind of scared to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. I know exactly how you feel. I've definitely seen some authors happy with the decision to self publish so I don't think you'll go wrong either way! It is scary though. Let me know if I can help in any way.

      Delete
  8. Congrats Saumya. This is wonderful news. I am thrilled for you. Hugs.

    It was a pleasure going through your first chapter. You write extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saumya, that's so awesome! *hugs*

    I know I've been lax on the blogging lately, but you've always been one of the sweetest, most thoughtful bloggy (bloggie) friends around, and I'm soooo glad to hear you've got an agent and can now get started on the next phase of the journey. (That was the longest run-on sentence ever!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Tracy. I love reading your inspirational posts when I'm down :)

      Delete
  10. CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so excited for you, Saumya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading your NYT entry for the contest, I knew it was only a matter of time before you found an agent. You're so talented, in so many ways.

    Congratulations! I can't wait to read your book someday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! Congrats ... from a "different" Margo! ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Saumya! This is such wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Sharan!! I need more updates with your fab recipes and fashion.

      Delete
  14. I'm so so excited and happy for you Saumya!!! I can't wait to hear all about your agent adventure! And to see your novel on the store shelves of course!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did I miss this!! Congrats! This is so wonderful, and I look forward to hearing more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just saw this on your cp's blog! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damn, not the first four, but CONGRATS lady!!!
    You fully deserve it!!! : D
    Can't wait to read your work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woohoo!!! I just read the news over at Laura's!! So excited for you :) I've been without a computer for a couple of weeks - and sadly it looks like it will be a couple more, so I'm a little late to the party. Congratulations!!! :)

    ReplyDelete