Monday, January 9, 2012

on women

This isn't one of those girlfriends-are-forever type posts. No, I've learned that friendships can screw you over and break your heart just as much (if not more) than any romantic relationship can. As we get older, we place time and value in those who matter. If we're lucky, we're reminded of how much there is to appreciate.

But I do have to ramble about the presence of some wonderful women in my life. Women who side with one another, who defy those stereotypes of cattiness and what not. Women who can bask in compliments, not cower when they're bestowed on another. Women who handle their insecurity with humility.

Favorite, recent examples:

* A few of us got together to catch up on our struggles, triumphs, and everything in between. One of the girls is ready for 2.5 kids now. Another never wants to be married. There was an utter absence of judgment, something that was never the case in our mothers' generation.

*Then there's the refreshing honesty. We were talking (ok, gossiping) about a not-very-nice guy.
"He's...okay," I said, trying to be diplomatic.
My friend shook her head. "No, he's a little bitch. That's really all there is to it."

Or how another girlfriend responded when I didn't forgot to return her calls:
"I'm telling you this because I love you...I'm mad at you."