Friday, February 10, 2012

you can handle it


In response to some e-mails, I'll be writing more about my agent journey in later posts. Today, I wanted to share some words of encouragement. A thought crept into my mind last week:

There isn't anything that comes to you that you can't handle.

Maybe it's the time of year but it seems like there are a lot of posts around the blogging world about people flirting with the idea of giving up or moving on. Instead of using our setbacks to make us doubtful, maybe we can use them to make us humble. Maybe they can just be reminders of how much we have left to do, if we're willing to put forth the effort.

I only say this because there have been many moments throughout my life that have felt dark and hopeless. Looking back, I see that they had one thing in common: they were transient. I know I often take on the optimistic, everything's-perfect approach but the truth is, many days are difficult to just get through and I can often understand why writers suffer from depression. Sometimes it takes effort just to get by.

But perhaps that's often half the battle: getting by. Not allowing things to crumble what got you started in the first place.
So if you're reading this and are in a place of doubt, please refresh. Nobody said this would be easy but you can handle it.