Sunday, March 11, 2012

exhaustion...and writing through it

Lately, I've been terrible about "balancing it all." I think I've realized that to an extent, everyone's tired. Or at least, everyone's behind on something.

The past couple weeks have been saturated with exams and 18 hour days. My scrubs always smelled like rotting intestines and at separate times, I found myself scarfing down hummus and pita chips at the kitchen counter just so I wouldn't faint from not eating for 10 hours. There wasn't anything pleasant or glamorous or fulfilling about it.

I fell behind on my writing (and everything else). Sometimes, I noted things down on my handy dandy Word document but other times, I never pushed pen to paper.

It's strange to say this but not writing because I absolutely couldn't helped me be more productive when I could. When I'm away from it, I don't take it for granted as much. I know that each moment is valuable and finite, so I have to use it.

So many times, I wonder about who I'd be if I had the time...all the while forgetting that not having time is already shaping me in the right direction.

19 comments:

  1. You make a great point! It's so easy to overlook the hard things as something to simply get through, but those hard things shape us and make us who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say busy people get things done! Maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that before, too, Alex. I think that's true to an extent although there is an upper limit. Gah.

      Delete
  3. I rarely get more than 20 or 30 minutes to write at a time and I think you're right. It's such a thrill to find that time, I rarely waste it :) Good luck finding some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate, Jemi! That's great that you can get into the swing of it that quickly. I haven't gotten there yet, haha.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow. I am glad that you have *some* time for yourself, Saumya!

    I heard someone once say, "The people who say that they are busy and don't have time are the people who are most disorganized!" :) I find this to be true to a certain degree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brahmin, that's such an interesting way to think about that! I love reading your posts, girl.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you! Since I had a child, my writing time is very limited. I'm more productive now with my few precious minutes than I was before I had a baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I still don't know how so many parents manage to balance all the facets of their lives. That's awesome!

      Delete
  6. I too find that I'm more productive when I'm busy. It is exhausting juggling everything though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Christine. There's a balance somewhere in there, I suppose.

      Delete
  7. When I've got all the time in the world it's easier to waste some of it. I get so much more done when I have a specific deadline.

    Hope you get some time real soon to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine how busy you've got to be! But I love your attitude about it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thoughts on this! I am running myself ragged around my place lately, too. I, unfortunately, haven't been very productive with my writing but that's OK. Sometimes, when you can't find the time, something must take a backseat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something does have to take the backseat at times. I still have trouble accepting that. I hope your writing picks up again soon!

      Delete
  10. You are extremely busy with your work, Saumya. So, take it easy. I too have been behind on all my assignments. I love your attitude towards writing and work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But it will all be worth it. The hard work and sacrifice will pay off. Sleep when you can and eat healthy snacks too!

    Uh oh. I see your Word Verification (WV) is still on. I'm on a mission to rid the world of this unnecessary evil frustration! Please stop by my blog and select the How To Turn Off Your Word Verification tab and help make the world a better place one blog at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a really good point, that time shapes us. Hope you are recovering from exams

    ReplyDelete