Tuesday, March 20, 2012

gems for improvement

Maybe the key to staying out of a rut is to fill life with things that are new, things that make us better. So instead of sharing any musings on writing, medicine, or anything in between, I thought I'd pass along an article and some quotes.

1.) An article discussing how reading novels stimulates the activity centers in our brain!

"Individuals who frequently read fiction seem to be better able to understand other people, empathize with them and see the world from their perspective"

2.) Quotes to remember

*"Keep yourself so busy with your own refinement that you have little time, energy, or need to criticize others."

Anonymous

*"We are not nouns, we are verbs. I am not a thing---an actor, a writer---I am a person who does things---I write, I act---and I never know what I'm going to do next. I think you can be imprisoned if you think of yourself as a noun."
Stephen Fry

*"Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again. This time, more intelligently."
Henry Ford

*"Some of us are turning into the men we wanted to marry."
Gloria Steinem





8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these gems!
    I love the 1st quote - it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that--reading books is making me a better person. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Stephen Fry quote. I need to stop thinking of myself as a noun. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am almost too excited how about that article on how reading resulting in greater understand and empathy to leave a comment here! But thank you for the quotes too. Quotes are like chocolate to me - and I haven't seen these before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh lady, lovely stuff as always! : ) Gotta go read that article!!

    ReplyDelete