Wednesday, March 28, 2012

the people who remind us life is happening right now

Perpetual flaw: When I'm super busy or overwhelmed or both, I tend to become a hermit and go into isolation.

Today was one of those days where I fell into a nap I later resented. I was behind on my studying for the week and was scheduled to go to our community clinic today for 4 hours.
Gosh, not today. I kept thinking. I've got so much to do.
As it turned out, my favorite doctor was the one seeing patients and it was my job to follow him a.k.a. stay invisible.
Or so I thought.
"Get in here, Saumya. This is where your strengths are going to shine."
He pushed me to listen for abnormal lung sounds and advise a post-menopausal woman on weight loss.

And it made me realize, I should be grateful for this exhaustion, you know? Even the moments that are overwhelming---the moments that create doubt and a lonely vulnerability--- are valuable.

Doesn't it feel so much better to churn out a page of writing when you thought you couldn't? Or wouldn't? Isn't it rewarding to work through that hazy, "writer's block" part of your mind and put it to rest?

We'll all get behind on our edits and rewrites, let the chores pile up, wonder if we should just get on with our lives. But I don't know; perhaps it's getting past those small, day to day hurdles that's as much of a test as the large ones.

"Most people don't know that there are angels out there whose only job is to make sure you don't fall asleep and miss your life."
Brian Andreas


6 comments:

  1. That's a great quote. What a wonderful opportunity for you to get some experience next to your favorite doctor! I hope you get the much-needed rest you want, but good for you for finding the silver lining! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything carries meaning and a benefit if we take the time to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post...think it was the perfect time for me to read it!

    I've been up to my eyeballs in edits lately, all the while trying to work my normal full time job, spend time with my family, find time to exercise and tidy the house...so yeah. I needed this.

    Your wording was beautiful by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always resent naps! So inconvenient. Good luck with everything you have going on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naps are actually GOOD for people, though most people don't remember this. Don't fault yourself for needing the rest.

    You will be a great doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of this before but it is so true!! And I love that quote that goes along with this idea so well. This may well be perhaps the most motivational post I've read in a long time, if ever. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete