Friday, April 6, 2012

on jealousy

There have been interesting posts floating around the blog-o-sphere about this controversial emotion. I always knew jealousy existed but wasn't aware of how much damage it could do--to a friendship, to someone's self image.

Unfortunately, I've received it throughout the years, as most people have, in snide remarks and worse---complete disappearance but acting like things are fine on the surface.
It's not a constant. I've found that sometimes, when a person's own circumstances become more favorable, the jealousy wanes and things return to how they were.

I had a guy friend who told me he couldn't be my friend anymore because he was always hoping we would end up together. While it hurt to let him go, I appreciated the courage it took for him to admit that. Of course, there are people who never admit to any sort of jealousy or doing anything wrong, which is fine as well but I don't have room for that in my life. Maybe it's not about the actual jealousy itself but how we react to it.

The right amount can encourage you to strive for more; too much can turn you into a pool of insecurity and denial.