Friday, April 20, 2012

What's going on



Due to some sweet e-mails I've received in the past couple weeks, I wanted to fill you in on the craziness that has been (or always is) my life.

-I'll be head down in revisions for a bit, so though I'll keep visiting your blogs, I may not post a lot in the next couple weeks. My lovely agent ripped my manuscript apart and now I've got to mend it. 

-School is, as usual, consuming every part of me. I've also taken on a new project that is more public health (specifically, women's health) related. It's been cathartic to learn how much I enjoy speaking with patients, how there are points of similarity in all of us. One day, I hope to spend most of my time improving the lives of others in however many ways I can.

-Two close friends have asked me to sing their first dance songs at their upcoming weddings so that means it's time to practice. Like anything else, music requires frequent practice and I'm ashamed to say I haven't kept up with it. My voice has definitely paid the price. I don't want to embarrass them so I've been recording songs on my computer and will be asking Samir for feedback.  

-Making tiny changes to my beauty routine has taken me out of a daily rut. Dark purple eyeliner. Bright lipstick. Sea salt exfoliating scrub. Tight, ballerina bun. A men's styled shirt dress that strikes the balance between feminine and sexy. 

-It's Saturday night, I'm sitting by myself at Barnes and Noble, with an iced chai in hand. My manuscript is pulled up and I can hear the excited buzz of a first date couple to my right and a married couple to my left. The craziest part? There's a palpable contentment in me. A few hours ago, I was pushing myself at the gym, feeling pain from muscles that have been neglected due to hours of studying. Then I floated in the pool. An entire day with little human contact can do wonders, you know?

8 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderfully peaceful, Saumya!

    I love the changes you made in the beauty routine :)

    I hope you find great satisfaction in the new project you have chosen - if we want to, we can find similarities in the kind of problems that we or our fellow humans face. It might be women's health, discrimination or even simple human rights. All we need is compassion to understand that :)

    Will keep my eyes out for your posts, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a heavy schedule, Saumya. Would love to see you dance at weddings. Good luck with revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The changes in your beauty routine, the gym workout, and the revision in Barnes and Noble all sound totally excellent, and I'm so glad you're getting so much enjoyment out of your busy schedule. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get your manuscript back together again! And what an honor to be asked to sing at those weddings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, thanks! It is quite an honor and I'm blessed to have close friends to humble me.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you're doing well, Saumya! Sending you lots of positive vibes as you work on your revisions!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you post some videos of you singing? I would love to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Once I practice a little bit, I'd love to get your feedback. I could really use some critiquing, haha.

      Delete