Friday, May 25, 2012

A tiny thought on detaching



Do you ever struggle with detaching? 

With knowing when to take advice from others, when to sift it out? The more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that caring about what other people think is often linked to caring about them in general. It's essential but difficult to separate the two, you know?
Last night, while I was running, I realized that often, other people won't know what's best for you. Heck, sometimes I don't even know what's best for me.  
Whether it's with medicine, writing, singing, or any of my other passions, if I listened to every warning or token of advice that came my way, I would be on an entirely different path in life.

As important as it is to learn and listen to those voices, external and internal, it's just as important to learn how and when to mute them.  

Photo from Instagram. This is what my desk looks like during edits: large Post Its, chunky, statement jewelry from the night before and an iced chai (not seen). Our family just moved into a new house and I painted my new room Tiffany's blue.

7 comments:

  1. Very true! And for me, it was learning about when it came from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a really good point! Listening to others is good, but using discernment in what you follow is definitely a wise choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about that photo, Saumya! I NEED those huge sticky notes!!

    No one knows you better than you do. And even when we don't think we know ourselves, we still know it better than anyone else.

    Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. It's difficult not to take the advice of someone you love, but sometimes, you have to focus on what's going to be best for you. Good luck with edits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ultimately, your life is yours and yours alone to mess up/set straight. People can only help you so far with things and, if it fails, they don't have to live with the fallout, you do.

    I had a very difficult time finding an apartment in which to live with my husband because EVERYONE kept telling us we shouldn't move. I suppose they thought it too hard for us to be on our own...
    ***********************************
    Pass the sticky notes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree. When we're upset by a piece of advice, it's usually because the opinion of the person giving it is important to us, but we also need to ask ourselves, 'does it really matter?' It's hard not to let 'advice' get to us, but there's a way to figure out what it is you really need to do. It's a difficult trait to obtain, but it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THAT'S what your desk looks like? Mine doesn't even have any blank space on it.

    I agree with what you say. The problem that many of us face is that when we get given advice from people, we want to follow it because (maybe it's just me) if we don't we feel we may be disappointing them.

    ReplyDelete