Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Inspiring quotes for the week

"If you are destined to become a writer, you can't help it. If you can help it, you aren't destined to become a writer. The frustrations and disappointments, not even to mention the unspeakable loneliness, are too unbearable for anyone who doesn't have a deep sense of being unable to avoid writing." -Donald Harington

"Writers aren't people exactly. Or, if they're any good, they're a whole lot of people trying so hard to be one person." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." Oscar Wilde

13 comments:

  1. The middle quote is my favorite here.

    The last one makes the human race almost sound sad. We are all just a bunch of mindless people, searching for a way out of the never-ending paper bag, is the way I take it. Well, more or less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way, Jennifer! That's interesting. Sometimes I come across depressing quotes that make me get all morbid and emo, lol. I think it's a strength that writers can emulate a lot of people.

      Delete
  2. That first quote is so inspiring! I definitely need to save that one. Thanks, Saumya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Meredith. Hope revisions are going well for you.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine!! Off to read your blog :)

      Delete
  4. Great quotes - although I have to say I don't find writing to be lonely. Maybe that's all those other people in my head keeping company, as noted in the second quote :)
    One Writer's Mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, J.A. Reading and writing have prevented me from ever feeling lonely.

      Delete
  5. Great quotes, Saumya. Loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last quote struck me. Probably because I am a collector of quotes, and will often resort to quotes when trying to explain myself or my views. And yet, I am more than the sum of all the quotes I love!

    I try to purposefully add some "quotable" prose into my novels, but you don't dare push too hard to make something "quotable" because it may just sound pretentious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I totally agree, Margo. I'm a quote collector as well. I'm sure your novels have a lot of quotables!! Your blog posts are always great so I can only imagine how your other work is :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those were lovely quotes, Saumya:)

    ReplyDelete