Friday, June 8, 2012

The artists who make us want to try

There's so much beauty in this world that's too often overlooked. 
Last night, I ended up watching Burlesque, with Christina Aguilera. As a little girl, I'd sneak under my covers with a book and Walkman (remember those?), shifting the dial for the next Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey song.

There's something about an artist, the kind who channels a craft through her veins, the kind who stirs you to just attempt, the kind who stresses the importance of practice, because none of us will never know who we can be, unless we try. 



4 comments:

  1. Amen! When I really want to sit down I write, I make myself watch a Jane Austen movie because I remember the beautiful language of her work and I remember what I'm working toward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a guitar player, so listening to someone rip a really good riff inspires!
    And I do remember Walkmans. I think we might still have one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so true. I feel that way about Anne Lammott and Annie Dillard. I've been needing a good writing session...you've inspired me to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that movie! Did you like it? I thought Christina was pretty good acting-wise (her singing was phenomenal, as expected!) and I'm interested to see her take on a non-singing role. I hope she does in some movie!

    ReplyDelete