Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pixar's Rules For Stories!

Pixar movies will always turn me into a wide-eyed, emotional little girl. Who hasn't become teary-eyed in at least one of the movies? I was a mess during Toy Story 3 and UP. 
So when I found this list of Pixar's 22 Rules for Story Telling, I knew I had to share. 

Some favorites: 

-What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?

-Give your characters opinions. Passive/malleable might seem likeable to you as you write but it's poison for the audience.


Tonight, my sister and I had (too much) pizza and champagne, popped in a classic movie, and became children again for a couple of hours. 
That's what the best stories offer, right? Escape. Even into your old self. 

If you're interested in the complete list, it's here! 

4 comments:

  1. Aw, sounds like such a fun night! I heart Pixar movies so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so great, thanks for sharing. Glad you had fun with your sis, I love feeling like a kid again with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Pixar movies!! I just got Ratatouille from Netflix yesterday! That's the only one I haven't seen yet. My favorites are the Toy Story movies, A Bug's Life, and Monster's Inc!

    Disney-Pixar stories are genius. The scripts are so darn clever! Definitely gotta check out this list of rules now. :)

    ReplyDelete